Chhattisgarh Mukti Morcha calls for release of social activist Binayak SenJanuary 31st, 2011 - 12:38 pm ICT by ANI
Raipur, Jan 31 (ANI): Activists of Chhattisgarh Mukti Morcha Labourer’s Committee carried out a protest rally here demanding the release of Human Rights activist Binayak Sen who is convicted under sedition charges.
Addressing the rally, activist Gautam Bandhopadhyay said that the demonstration would also work as a reminder in saving the jungle lands that are being destroyed by big industries for their commercial interest.
“We have gathered here to safeguard ‘Human Rights’ and to save Chhattisgarh’s land, water and jungles from being looted,” said Bandhopadhyay.
The Raipur Sessions Court on December 24 had held Dr Sen and three other people guilty of treason and waging war against the state. He has also been found guilty of sedition.
Sen was arrested in Chhattisgarh in 2007 and was granted bail two years later. He was honoured with Jonathan Mann award in 2008, while he was still in prison.
Sen is a 58-year-old paediatrician and public health physician with a 25-year record of providing health care to the Adivasi people of Chhattisgarh. (ANI)
- Chhattisgarh HC to hear Binayak Sen bail plea - Jan 24, 2011
- Chhattisgarh HC permits EU team to witness proceedings on Sen's appeal - Jan 24, 2011
- Raipur court holds academic Sen guilty of waging war against state - Dec 24, 2010
- My faith in judiciary shattered, says Binayak Sen's wife - Jan 04, 2011
- Supreme Court grants bail to Binayak Sen - Apr 15, 2011
- Binayak Sen to be released today - Apr 18, 2011
- Rally in Chhattisgarh supports Binayak Sen - Jan 31, 2011
- Binayak Sen case timeline - Dec 24, 2010
- SC to hear Binayak Sen's bail plea on Monday - Apr 10, 2011
- Supreme Court to hear Binayak Sen's bail plea - Mar 11, 2011
- Supreme Court adjourns Binayak Sen's bail plea to April 15 - Apr 11, 2011
- Chhattisgarh HC rejects Binayak Sen's bail plea - Feb 10, 2011
- Chidambaram welcomes SC verdict on Binayak Sen - Apr 15, 2011
- Supreme Court issues notice to Chhattisgarh Govt. on Sen bail plea - Mar 11, 2011
- Northeast group wants case against Binayak Sen withdrawn - Dec 29, 2010
Tags: activists, binayak sen, commercial interest, demonstration, human rights, jonathan mann, jungle, jungles, labourer, land water, paediatrician, protest rally, public health physician, raipur, reminder, s committee, sedition charges, sessions court, social activist, treason