Cherry-flavoured pill could help beat malaria in kidsOctober 15th, 2008 - 3:49 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 15 (ANI): A new cherry-flavoured pill, which is easy for children to swallow, works as an anti-malarial drug and could help save millions of lives, say researchers in Tanzania.
The boffins say the tablet is not as bitter as other anti-malaria drugs and does not need to be crushed before eating, reports Lancet.
This would make it easier for children to stick to the treatment, the team told the medical journal, The Lancet.
According to BBC, there is no vaccine for malaria but it is curable if treated promptly.
The problem with current drugs is that many young children cannot swallow whole tablets and crushing them can weaken the medicine. The crushed pills also taste bitter when mixed with water, the researchers said.
Salim Abdulla of the Ifakara Health Institute in Tanzania said the tablet is easy to administer and effective.
Health experts say the pill could help to promote better outcomes from treatment and delay the development of drug resistant strains of the disease. (ANI)
- New class of compounds to combat malaria - Nov 20, 2011
- Resistance to malaria drug rings alarm bells - Apr 08, 2012
- Sri Lanka virtually eliminates malaria - Aug 31, 2012
- One-off pill to cure malaria - Sep 05, 2010
- Community-based treatment of malaria, pneumonia could save lives: Study - Sep 22, 2010
- Natural compounds could pave way for novel anti-malaria drugs - Mar 15, 2011
- Cost-effective, life-saving intervention for severe childhood malaria - Nov 30, 2010
- Coming soon: Single-dose malaria drug - Sep 04, 2010
- Intermittent drug treatment 'can curb malaria' - Feb 02, 2011
- Spurious heart medicine kills 120 in Pakistan - Feb 11, 2012
- Nigeria launches new anti-malaria drug - Aug 05, 2011
- East Africa's antimalarial trees at risk of extinction - Apr 21, 2011
- Novel anti-malarial drug candidate found - May 26, 2010
- No Birth Defects Seen in Pregnant Malaria Drug Recipients - Feb 23, 2011
- Why some find anti-malarial drug quinine bitter while others don't - Aug 03, 2010