Chennai students take to the streets over Lankan issueFebruary 18th, 2009 - 9:13 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Feb 18 (ANI): Students in Tamil Nadu took to the streets on Wednesday demanding the safety of the Tamil civilians caught in a crossfire between the Sri Lankan army and Tamil rebels in the island nation.
Wielding banners and placards, students of Madras University demanded the Indian Government immediate intervention.
“We are not against State and Central Governments, we are just against the war that is happening in Sri Lanka. We request the Government to stop the war that is prevailing in Sri Lanka,” said Anand Babu, a student.
Last month, External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee met Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa and discussed safety measures for Tamils trapped in the battle zone.
The visit was also aimed at cooling tensions with Tamil Nadu politicians who are demanding that India broker a ceasefire and save Tamils in Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka’’s military has encircled the rebel Tigers and is confident it will win a war that has claimed 70,000 lives since 1983. (ANI)
- Lankan refugees appeal to India to save Tamils in island nation - Feb 16, 2009
- Sri Lanka issues travel warning for southern India - Sep 04, 2012
- Lankan Tamil issue rocks Parliament again - Feb 19, 2009
- Tamil supporters protest over Sri Lankan issue in Mumbai - Mar 01, 2009
- Will get Sri Lankan Tamils their rights: Jayalalithaa - Aug 11, 2011
- India must ensure Rajapaksa faces war crimes trial - Apr 22, 2011
- Human rights body protests atrocities on Lankan Tamils - Apr 05, 2012
- Sri Lankans protest against UN findings on civil war - May 02, 2011
- Curtail visits by Sri Lankan dignitaries: Jayalalithaa - Mar 07, 2012
- India should help Sri Lanka in constructive manner: Kalam - Jan 27, 2012
- Sri Lanka at 'critical point' post-LTTE, says politician (Interview) - Nov 15, 2011
- India should help form Tamil Eelam: Ramadoss - Apr 26, 2011
- Human rights groups snub 'flawed' Sri Lankan war crime panel - Oct 15, 2010
- Uproar in parliament over Sri Lanka's 'war crimes' (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Sri Lanka, Singapore sign trade agreement - Feb 16, 2012
Tags: battle zone, ceasefire, central governments, crossfire, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, indian government, island nation, lanka sri, madras university, mahinda rajapaksa, pranab mukherjee, safety measures, sri lankan army, sri lankan president, tamil civilians, tamil rebels, tamils, tensions, tigers