Chavan, Deshmukh to lead seat sharing talks with NCPJanuary 19th, 2009 - 11:08 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Jan.19 (ANI): Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan and his predecessor Vilasrao Deshmukh will lead the seat-sharing discussion representing the Congress party with its ally National Congress Party (NCP) for the ensuing Lok Sabha elections.
According to Maharashtra Pradesh Congress committee (MPCC) spokesman Anand Gadgil, former chief minister and Union Power Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde, state unit Congress president Manikrao Thakre, Mumbai Congress chief Kripashankar Singh and State campaign committee chairman Gurudas Kamat, apart from Ashok Chavan and Vilasrao Deshmukh, would participate in the talks as the members of the committee set up to hold talks with the NCP on seat sharing.
The first meeting of this six-member committee will be held at Tilak Bhavan on Tuesday to finalise the nitty gritty of the seat sharing talks, said Gadgil on Monday while adding that the formal talks with the NCP was likely to begin by next week after the NCP’’s two-day poll preparation meeting would conclude on January 22.
The NCP President and Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar last week had met All India Congress Committee (AICC) chief Sonia Gandhi at her residence 10, Janpath in New Delhi.
The NCP had demanded equal number of seats and also a share for allies like Samajwadi Party (SP) and all the Republic Party of India (RPI) factions.
So far, the Congress, however, has not reacted to NCP’’s demands. (ANI)
- Sonia to select Mumbai, Maharashtra Congress chiefs - Sep 14, 2010
- Congress, NCP tie up for Maharashtra civic polls - Nov 23, 2011
- Congress, NCP to hold seat-sharing talks Tuesday - Sep 15, 2009
- Congress, NCP ally to dislodge saffron combine from BMC - Jan 11, 2012
- Prithviraj Chavan meets Ashok Chavan ahead of swearing-in-ceremony - Nov 11, 2010
- Congress-NCP seat-sharing talks remain inconclusive (Lead) - Sep 16, 2009
- Maharashtra Congress goes into huddle over NCP's stance - Jul 23, 2012
- Congress-NCP talks fail to take off - Nov 02, 2009
- Low key I-Day celebrations in Maharashtra - Aug 15, 2012
- Congress legislators in Maharashtra complain about Chavan - Jul 24, 2012
- Maharashtra government will be under pressure in budget session - Mar 14, 2012
- Maharashtra Congress ties up with Dalit party - Jan 29, 2012
- Sharad Pawar targets Maharashtra government - Jun 02, 2012
- Maharashtra may ban controversial book on Gandhi - Mar 30, 2011
- NCP unhappy in Maharashtra also - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: agriculture minister, aicc, ashok, campaign committee, congress chief, congress president, day poll, gurudas, india congress committee, lok sabha elections, maharashtra chief minister, member committee, mpcc, national congress party, power minister, sharad pawar, sonia gandhi, state campaign, sushil kumar, vilasrao deshmukh