Chargesheet filed in TV journalist Soumya Viswanathan murder caseJune 22nd, 2009 - 8:45 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 22 (ANI): Delhi Police on Monday filed a 620-page chargesheet on a local court against five persons who were arrested for alleged connection with the murder of TV journalist Soumya Viswanathan.
The 26-year-old journalist was shot dead in Delhi on September 30, 2008 when she was driving from her Jhandewalan office to her Vasant Kunj residence.
Five persons - Ajay Sethi, Ravi Kapoor, Baljit Malik, Amit Shukla and Ajay Kumar - have also been booked under Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA).
“The motive behind the murder was robbery. They are charged under murder, destruction of evidence, forgery and criminal conspiracy. MCOCA has also been slapped against the all five accused,” said HGS Dhaliwal, Deputy Commissioner of Police (South).
A list of 60 prosecution witnesses has also been provided by the police. Dhaliwal further claimed that they have strong evidence against the accused.
“We have recovered the vehicle used to carry out the crime and phone records that show they were near the murder spot,” he said.
The arrests were made on March 23 during investigations into another murder case of Jigisha Ghose. (ANI)
- Soumya, Jigisha murder accused charged under MCOCA - Apr 08, 2009
- Plea of prime accused in journalist murder case dismissed - Sep 14, 2010
- Charges pressed against five in Soumya murder case - Jun 22, 2009
- Charge sheet filed in journalist Soumya's murder - Jun 11, 2010
- Judicial custody for five accused of Soumya's murder - Jun 25, 2009
- Car used in Soumya murder seized, auto lifter held (Lead) - Apr 06, 2009
- Last absconding suspect in Soumya Vishwanathan murder held - Apr 06, 2009
- Court frames charges in Soumya murder case - Feb 06, 2010
- Soumya, Jigisha murder cases far from over: Police - Mar 25, 2009
- Jigisha was desperate to live for aged parents: Police - Apr 09, 2009
- Auto lifter arrested in Soumya Vishwanathan murder case - Apr 06, 2009
- Killers of Soumya, Jigisha arrested, claim police (Third Lead) - Mar 24, 2009
- Police claim to have found Soumya and Jigisha's killers (Lead) - Mar 24, 2009
- Police arrest four men, say they were behind Vishwanathan, Ghosh murders (Second Lead) - Mar 24, 2009
- Jigisha murder accused decline to face identification parade - Mar 27, 2009
Tags: ajay kumar, amit shukla, commissioner of police, crime act, criminal conspiracy, delhi police, deputy commissioner, forgery, investigations, local court, motive, murder case, New Delhi, prosecution witnesses, ravi kapoor, robbery, tv journalist, vasant kunj