Chandrayaan II design readyDecember 24th, 2008 - 7:50 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Dec 24 (ANI): India’’s Space Research Organisation (ISRO) today said that the design for the country’’s second moon mission Chandrayaan II is ready.
Talking to the mediapersons here on the sidelines of a function organised by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) to felicitate the members of the Chandrayaan I team, ISRO Chairman G. Madhavan Nair said that it is all set for a 2012 launch.
“Chandrayaan II, the design is complete, we hope by 2012, we will be ready for the launch,” he added.
The launch of Chandrayaan-2, approved by the Indian government will include a rover that will land on the moon.
Chandrayaan plans to map a three-dimensional atlas of the moon, and the surface’’s chemical and mineral composition.
India hopes to send an astronaut into space by 2012 and a manned mission to the moon by 2020.
India started its space programme in 1963, developing its own satellites and launch vehicles to reduce dependence on overseas agencies.
At least 16 Indian satellites currently orbit the earth, supporting telecommunications, TV broadcasting, earth observation, weather forecasting, remote education and healthcare.
India’’s constellation of seven earth-observation satellites is the largest in the world. (ANI)
- 'India's lunar mission found moon alive & kicking' - Jul 16, 2012
- ISRO: A great institution's fall from grace (News Analysis) - Jan 25, 2012
- India's remote sensing satellite set for launch - Apr 23, 2012
- Indian remote sensing satellite set for launch (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- Data from Chandrayaan moon mission to go public - Sep 05, 2010
- Risat-1 catapults India into a select group of nations (Second Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- New ISRO centre to control spy satellite launch - Apr 09, 2012
- India mulling second rocket port: Space agency chief - Oct 12, 2011
- India's spy satellite to be launched in April - Mar 13, 2012
- Next moon mission in 2013-14: ISRO - Dec 25, 2010
- India's second moon mission Chandrayaan-2 to wait - Apr 26, 2012
- ISRO plans more satellite launches this year - Apr 20, 2011
- India's second moon mission to carry five instruments - Aug 30, 2010
- Global scientists descend on Mysore for space summit - Jul 14, 2012
- India notches another space success - Jul 15, 2011
Tags: atlas of the moon, chandrayaan, confederation of indian industry, dec 24, earth observation satellites, indian government, indian satellites, isro, launch, madhavan, manned mission, mineral composition, mission to the moon, moon mission, nair, remote education, research organisation, second moon, space research, tv broadcasting