Chandrayaan-I mated with rocket for October 22 blast-offOctober 17th, 2008 - 7:09 pm ICT by ANI
Bangalore, Oct.17 (ANI): India on Friday moved a step closer to launch its maiden unmanned moon mission with the help of the lunar spacecraft Chandrayaan-I.
The Chandrayaan-I was mated with the polar rocket which is set to blast off on October 22 from Sriharikota.
Officials of the Indian Space Research organisation (ISRO) said all operations related to the mission are progressing satisfactorily and barring a cyclone threat, the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV-C11) will take off on October 22 at 6.20 a.m.
“The heat-shield closing operations around the spacecraft has been completed. Integrated test of the homegrown launch vehicle (PSLV-C11) is progressing satisfactorily for the launch on October 22 at 0620 hours”, ISRO spokesperson S Satish said in Bangalore.
Satish said the 52-hour countdown for the blast-off from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota, 100 km from Chennai, is expected to commence in the early hours of October 20.
The Centre’’s Associate Director, Dr M Y S Prasad, said: “The next stage is to shift the 1,300 kg spacecraft to the launch pad and it will be done either this evening or tomorrow morning”.
Prasad said that a series of tests would be conducted before the launch, following which the launch would go ahead as per schedule.
Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) Chairman G Madhavan Nair was quoted by an agency as saying that ISRo scientists were working 24×7 to ensure a smooth launch. (ANI)
- Indian rocket set for launch Friday - Jul 14, 2011
- Indian space agency scores a ton, ready for more (Third Lead) - Sep 09, 2012
- Indian rocket set for blast-off - Jul 15, 2011
- India to launch advanced remote sensing satellite April 20 - Apr 09, 2011
- India to launch next communication satellite in July - Jun 01, 2011
- Indian communication satellite raised to near its orbit - Jul 18, 2011
- Indian space agency scores a perfect 100! (Second Lead) - Sep 09, 2012
- Indigenous space engine test Saturday - May 11, 2012
- ISRO's 100th mission a milestone: PM (Lead) - Sep 09, 2012
- Countdown begins for India's 100th space mission - Sep 08, 2012
- Manmohan watches as 100th Indian space mission blasts off (Lead) - Sep 09, 2012
- India successfully puts three satellites into orbit - Apr 20, 2011
- India to launch three satellites next month - Aug 03, 2012
- Count down for 100th Indian rocket launch begins Friday morning - Sep 06, 2012
- India notches another space success - Jul 15, 2011
Tags: associate director, bangalore, chandrayaan, chennai, cyclone, heat shield, indian space research, indian space research organisation, isro chairman, launch pad, launch vehicle, lunar spacecraft, madhavan, moon mission, nair, polar satellite, prasad, satish dhawan, space centre, tomorrow morning