Challenging Mayawati, Sonia Gandhi says Rae Bareli is my `Karma Bhoomi”October 14th, 2008 - 6:04 pm ICT by ANI
Rae Bareli (Uttar Pradesh), Oct.14 (ANI): Describing Rae Bareli as her “Karma Bhoomi” or “Realm of Action”, Congress President Sonia Gandhi on Saturday criticised Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati for trying to stop her from entering her parliamentary constituency.
Mayawati had diverted Sonia Gandhis route to Rae Bareli, but Gandhi reached her constituency on Tuesday.
Nobody can prevent me from visiting Rae Bareli, my karma bhoomi, even if that means that I have to go to jail while doing so, said Sonia Gandhi.
Sonia also slammed the UP government saying that it was halting development at the cost of politics.
The district has virtually turned into a fortress with the deployment of heavy security for Sonias visit.
Sonia cancelled her plan to address a rally in the town of Lalganj after the district administration decided to clamp prohibitory orders in the district following the Centre-state dispute over setting up of a rail coach factory here.
Gandhi, however, will visit Lalganj to inspect the Lifeline express train and have an audience with the people of her constituency.
Meanwhile, the police have registered cases, including under the SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, against two Congress MLAs Ashok Singh and Shiv Ganesh Lodhi and 34 others. Of them, eight people have been arrested.
On Monday, the Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court directed the state and the Centre to maintain the status quo on the land allotted to the Railways for setting up of a rail coach factory in Rae Bareli. The Mayawati Government had on Sunday cancelled the allotment of 189.25 hectares of land given to the railways.(ANI)
- Sonia Gandhi to visit Rae Bareli - May 10, 2011
- Lalu Prasad, Sonia in Rae Bareli to launch rail coach factory - Jan 27, 2009
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli, slam Mayawati (Third Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Lalu, Sonia to launch rail coach factory in Rae Bareli - Jan 26, 2009
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli, flay Mayawati (Second Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- UP allots land for AIIMS in Rae Bareli town - Aug 13, 2012
- Allahabad HC stays UP governments order on rail coach project - Oct 13, 2008
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli, flay Mayawati (Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- UPA aims at women's self-reliance: Sonia - May 11, 2011
- UPA aims at women's self reliance: Sonia (Lead) - May 11, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi launches rail coach factory in Rae Bareli (Lead) - Jan 27, 2009
- Lalu, Sonia to visit Rae Bareli coach factory next week - Jan 22, 2009
- Mayawati slams opposition, says Rahul is helpless - May 12, 2011
- Mayawati says Sonia Gandhi''s jail going threat is political drama - Oct 15, 2008
- Mayawati returns land for rail project in Rae Bareli - Oct 18, 2008
Tags: allahabad high court, allotment, ashok, atrocities, chief minister, coach factory, congress mlas, congress president sonia gandhi, criticised, district administration, express train, heavy security, lifeline, lodhi, parliamentary constituency, rae bareli, railways, shiv ganesh, sonia gandhis, uttar pradesh