Century old steam engine re-runs on Neral-Matheran trackMay 23rd, 2009 - 8:32 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, May 23 (ANI): As the century old steam engine gives an adorable toot at the Neral-Matheran track in western Maharashtra, nostalgic memory of the times when these engines were in use come rushing back.
In a bid to pay tribute to steam locomotives, Indian railways decided to re-run a heritage engine, which was first used in 1907 when passenger train service was started from Neral to Matheran.
“This is a steam locomotive engine. When the first passenger train service was started from Neral to Matheran, then steam locomotive was used for the purpose. This train was run for the first time in 1907,” said Ashok Dash, Diesel Engine Engineer.
This locomotive steam engine has been kept in the exhibition since 1982.
The engineers and the officials of the Indian railways are hopeful that the steam locomotives can come into limelight again. (ANI)
- Matheran Hill Railway to get modern coaches (Feature, With Images) - Nov 04, 2011
- UNESCO team to evaluate Matheran railway - Oct 22, 2009
- Indian Railways to get its most powerful diesel locomotive - Sep 26, 2011
- Punjab Mail to show Railways' past, present on R-Day - Jan 24, 2012
- Indian Railway tableau to showcase its history at R-Day parade (With images) - Jan 25, 2012
- Unesco to assess Matheran toy train as World Heritage (With Images) - Oct 23, 2009
- Unesco to assess Matheran toy train as World Heritage (Lead) (With Images) - Oct 23, 2009
- Pakistan Railways on road to revival? - Aug 20, 2012
- Trivedi proposes new projects for home state, constituency - Mar 14, 2012
- On history track: Punjab Mail chugs into 100th year (With Images) - Jun 07, 2011
- Run trains on time, says Pakistan PM (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- China makes its own magnetic train - Jan 21, 2012
- Pakistani daily questions train fare hike - Mar 14, 2012
- Chinese locomotives chug into trouble in Pakistan - Jun 06, 2012
- 300 of Pakistan's 500 locomotives out of order - Oct 11, 2011
Tags: ashok, diesel engine, engineer, exhibition, heritage, indian railways, limelight, locomotive engine, locomotive steam engine, nostalgic memory, old steam engine, passenger train service, steam locomotive, steam locomotives, toot, tribute