Centre to provide all assistance to protect every inch of country: AntonyJuly 26th, 2010 - 2:24 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, July 26 (ANI): Defence Minister A. K. Antony on Monday said the central government would provide all assistance to the armed forces to protect every inch of the country.
Stating that there was possibility of recent U.S. military aid to Pakistan being used against India, Antony said: “We feel that there is every possibility of diverting this sophisticated equipment against India.”
Talking to reporters after laying a wreath at the Amar Jawan Jyoti to mark the 11th anniversary of the Kargil war, Antony said India has conveyed to the US its concern over the misuse of American arms aid by Pakistan.
Earlier, during his meeting with the US Joint Chief of Staff Committee Chairman Admiral Mike Mullen here, Antony suggested that America needs to set up a monitoring mechanism to ensure that the arms it’s giving to Pakistan to combat terrorism is not diverted and used against India.
Antony also expressed his apprehensions that American arms aid was disproportionate to the war on terror for which it was meant.
US military supplies to Pakistan in 2010 were expected to be over the 300 million dollars that they have grossed annually.
Among the supplies are F-16 Fighting Falcon combat aircraft. Most of the hardware that the US is supplying to Pakistan is classified but the list is known to include Harpoon missiles, heavy artillery guns and helicopter gunships. (ANI)
- India asks US to monitor arms supply to Pakistan - Jul 24, 2010
- 'US making sure military aid to Pak is not used against India' - Jul 28, 2010
- 'US realising aid to Pakistan being diverted against India' - Feb 16, 2011
- ISI's strategic approach needs to be changed: US - Jul 23, 2010
- US understands India's concern on Pakistan: Antony - Feb 09, 2011
- India expresses concern over US military aid to Pakistan - Jul 23, 2010
- Search on for new war memorial's site: Antony - Jul 26, 2011
- India promises to continue training Afghan security forces (Lead) (With images) - Jun 01, 2011
- India voices concern over US military aid to Pakistan (Lead) - Jul 24, 2010
- Antony refuses to set deadline for war memorial - Jul 26, 2012
- India commits to capacity-building of Afghan armed forces (With images) - Jun 01, 2011
- Dialogue with Pakistan will continue: Defence Minister - Jul 26, 2011
- Remembering Kargil heroes, 11 years after victory - Jul 25, 2010
- India's first field marshal Sam Manekshaw remembered - Apr 03, 2012
- Pak Army will 'very possibly' succeed in tackling Taliban havens in country: Mullen - Dec 19, 2010
Tags: 11th anniversary, admiral mike mullen, amar jawan jyoti, antony, apprehensions, artillery guns, combat aircraft, defence minister, f 16 fighting falcon, harpoon missiles, heavy artillery, helicopter gunships, joint chief of staff, kargil war, military aid, military supplies, sophisticated equipment, staff committee, us joint chief, war on terror