Centre suspends Karbi Anglong operation for six monthsFebruary 4th, 2010 - 5:03 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 4 (ANI): The Union Home Ministry on Thursday, opted to suspend security operations in Assam’s Karbi Anglong District for a further six months.
The Union Government and the banned United People’s Democratic Solidarity (UPDS) mutually agreed to suspend of operations.
A Home Ministry spokesperson said the operation would remain suspended till July 31, 2010.
The ministry also said that ongoing talks with the UPDS would continue.
So far, six rounds of peace talks have been held between the UPDS, the Assam Government and the Central Government.
The UPDS was formed in March 1999 following the merger of two terrorist outfits– the Karbi National Volunteers (KNV) and the Karbi People’s Front (KPF).
The UPDS aims to create an independent tribal dominant state in Assam.
A cease-fire agreement was signed for a year with the Union Government on May 23, 2002.
This resulted in a split in the UPDS with one faction opting to continue with subversive activities while the other favoured negotiations with the Government. (ANI)
- Assam terror outfit disbands - Dec 14, 2011
- Ex-Karbi militant arrested in Assam with arms - Apr 05, 2012
- Ceasefire agreement with Assam rebel group extended - Aug 03, 2010
- Peace Accord with Black Widow rebel faction soon: Chidambaram - Jan 24, 2012
- MP seeks to protect Manipur's territorial integrity - Apr 28, 2012
- NDFB offers indefinite ceasefire - Jul 26, 2011
- 4 Kuki militants nabbed with arms in Assam - Sep 13, 2012
- No talks with breakaway insurgent groups, says government - Apr 07, 2010
- Northeast defies I-Day boycott call - Aug 15, 2011
- Militants ganging up with criminals, says Gogoi - May 18, 2012
- Violent incidents come down in North East, says Chidambaram - Aug 25, 2010
- Over 500 Assam militants to surrender Tuesday - Jan 23, 2012
- Centre alerts Assam ahead of ULFA raising day (Lead) - Apr 04, 2012
- Seven abducted from power plant in Assam - Jun 10, 2012
- Four CRPF personnel killed in Assam encounter - Apr 02, 2011
Tags: assam government, cease fire, central government, democratic solidarity, faction, knv, merger, national volunteers, negotiations, New Delhi, peace talks, security operations, six months, spokesperson, subversive activities, terrorist outfits, union government, union home ministry, upds