Centre says, Rama Sethu not a national monumentJuly 29th, 2008 - 6:22 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, July 29 (ANI): The Centre today told the Supreme Court that it does not consider the Rama Sethu a national monument.
Senior advocate Fali S. Nariman, appearing for the Centre, told a Bench headed by Chief Justice K. G. Balakrishnan, “As far as we are concerned, the stand of the Government is very clear, that Rama Sethu could not fulfill the criteria of national monument.”
Earlier, the Supreme Court had stopped construction work of the Sethusamudram project after writ petitions were filed to counter the demolition of the mythological Ram Sethu believed to have been constructed by Lord Rama.
The 560-million dollar Sethusamudram project, approved by the government in 2005, plans to dredge a channel in a narrow strip of sea between India and Sri Lanka, reducing distances and cutting costs for freight traffic between the two countries.
Hindu groups have opposed the project, saying it would destroy the ancient Ram Sethu, a 48-kilometre chain of limestone shoals that once linked Rameswaram in Tamil Nadu to Mannar in Sri Lanka.
The Tamil Nadu Government has requested the Centre not to shelve the Sethusamudram Shipping Canal Project because of issues raised by some people for their political gain.
When the project is finished, ships sailing between Indias Western and Eastern coasts will not have to go around the south of Sri Lanka, and is expected to save up to 36 hours of sailing time which would strengthen the countrys economy by expanding International and maritime trade. (ANI)
- Complete Sethusamudram project at earliest: DMK - Mar 29, 2012
- Declare Ram Sethu a national monument: Jayalalithaa - Mar 28, 2012
- SC gives more time to centre on Palk Strait channel - Sep 03, 2012
- Centre shies from naming Rama Sethu a national monument - Apr 19, 2012
- VHP rejects Governments claim that Lord Rama destroyed Ram Sethu - Jul 28, 2008
- New alignment of Sethusamudram not feasible, court told (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Government plans environmental study of Sethusamudram channel - Jan 14, 2010
- Quickly build Sethusamudram canal, says CPI-M (Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
- CPI-M youth wing strikes for implementation of Sethusamudram canal - Feb 12, 2010
- Government to examine shorter sea-route, sparing Ram Setu - Jul 30, 2008
- New alignment of Sethusamudram not feasible, court told - Jul 02, 2012
- TN requests Centre not to shelve Sethusamudram project - Jan 23, 2008
- Supreme Court threatens to issue arrest warrant against Karunanidhi - Aug 04, 2008
- Ram Setu cannot be declared national monument: government - Jul 29, 2008
- Jayalalithaa should approach competent authority on Ram Sethu: Supreme Court - Jan 28, 2008
Tags: canal project, chief justice, eastern coasts, expanding international, freight traffic, hindu groups, kilometre, lord rama, maritime trade, nariman, narrow strip, national monument, political gain, ram sethu, rameswaram, sailing time, sethusamudram project, shipping canal, tamil nadu government, writ petitions