Centre plans to attract young talent to teachingMarch 12th, 2010 - 10:19 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 12 (ANI): The Union Government on Friday said the 11th Five Year Plan envisages increase in the Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER) in higher education to 15 percent of the population in the age cohort group of 18-24 years by 2011-12.
Replying to a question in the Rajya Sabha, Minister of State for Human Resource Development D. Purandeswari said: “This requires a substantial increase in the number of institutions and consequently would require an adequate number of teachers for imparting education.”
Purandeswari said that failure to redress the faculty shortage would hamper the achievement of the targets for increase in GER set out by Government.
She informed members that Government has taken measures to attract talent into the academic profession by liberalizing pay and other incentives at levels higher than that provided to the All India Civil Services (Group ‘A’) at the entry stage.
“The age of superannuation has been increased to 65 years for persons engaged in teaching in higher education institutions,” Purandeswari said.
The Government has constituted a Task Force under Prof. Sanjay Dhande, Director, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur to assess the existing faculty shortage and the requirement of quality faculty in technical, professional and University education considering the need to achieve the targeted GER in the remaining period of the Eleventh Plan and the Twelfth Plan.
The Government has asked the committee to suggest remedial policies and other measures to meet the estimated shortfalls in quality faculty. (ANI)
- A council for human resource in health soon: PM (Second Lead) - Oct 01, 2010
- Nurses will retire at 65 - Jun 10, 2010
- A council for human resource in health soon: PM(Lead) - Oct 01, 2010
- India has seen jobless growth, says top adviser - Nov 13, 2011
- Gross Enrolment Ratio to be raised to 30 percent by 2020: Mukherjee - Apr 04, 2010
- 'Education should be inclusive' - Jan 05, 2011
- 260 percent power capacity added between 10th and 11th Plans - Aug 17, 2012
- All time record in farm production: PM - Feb 20, 2012
- Spend more on higher education: Parliamentary panel to government - May 09, 2012
- Indian higher education leadership programme with Yale University - Oct 14, 2011
- Awards for social scientists soon: HRD minister - Feb 06, 2012
- Highlights of President Patil's speech - Mar 12, 2012
- 'Childhood poverty remains a reality in India' - Jan 11, 2012
- Is even one of our institutions world class, asks Sibal - May 24, 2011
- Sibal stresses on spreading distance education - Apr 02, 2011
Tags: 24 years, academic profession, adequate number, age cohort, education institutions, gross enrolment, human resource development, indian institute of technology, indian institute of technology kanpur, minister of state, purandeswari, quality faculty, rajya sabha, sanjay, services group, shortfalls, substantial increase, superannuation, union government, university education