Centre launches unique identification number in TripuraDecember 13th, 2010 - 5:37 pm ICT by ANI
Tripura, DEC.13 (ANI): The Central Government has launched a Unique Identification (UID) number under the ‘Aadhar’ scheme to help people get government jobs and other related facilities in Tripura.
A 12-digit identification number is issued by the Unique Identification Authority under the aegis of the National Identification Authority of India (NIAI), an executive body under the Planning Commission.
“This unique identity card shall reduce people’s harassment in getting government services and facilities and will make life much easier for them. This will also help in stopping illegal settlement of foreigners in the bordering areas particularly of northeast,” said Jitendra Chowdhary, Industries and Commerce Development Minister.
The 12-digit number is linked to basic demographics and biometric information, including photograph, ten fingerprints and iris of each individual.
It is stored in a centralized database that is accessible any where across the country.
It is easily verifiable online and it will help the poor and the migrant labourers in availing various benefits like opening a bank account, getting a passport or a ration card.
Tripura is the first State in the northeast and eighth in India to get this facility.
“Under the ‘Aadhar’ programme we shall be getting an unique number which shall have all the required data and so different identity cards will no longer be required. This will help us in our daily life,” said Sridam, a villager.
“We are very lucky and happy that our block Rupaichari shall be the first one to get this facility,” he added.
Alok, one of the ‘Aadhar’ officials, said this would provide people their identity.
“It will give people their identity, which will be portable plus a range of other services like mobile service, ration cards, bank services and others,” said Alok. (ANI)
- Unique identification number launched in northeast India - Dec 02, 2010
- Cyber expert fears misuse of UID numbers - Aug 12, 2011
- UID to facilitate healthcare services: Nilekani - Dec 01, 2011
- Aadhaar number to help deprived people get banking services - Jan 21, 2011
- Dikshit distributes Aadhar numbers - Jan 25, 2011
- One mn Indians to be enrolled per day for unique identity - Jun 23, 2011
- Foreign diplomats get lesson on unique identification drive - Oct 20, 2011
- Each Unique ID number costs Rs.100: Nilekani - Dec 03, 2010
- Corporation Bank signs MoU with UIDAI - Aug 05, 2010
- 54 lakh Haryana families to get smart ration cards - May 28, 2011
- UID can be an enabler of financial inclusion: Nilekani - May 11, 2010
- Aadhaar to pilot financial, banking services in 50 districts - Apr 18, 2012
- Compromise reached on Unique ID project row (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Delhi residents to get UID numbers by October - Mar 11, 2011
- UID to benefit common people: Manmohan (Lead) - Sep 29, 2010
Tags: aegis, central government, centralized database, commerce development, development minister, digit identification number, digit number, executive body, getting a passport, government jobs, government services, illegal settlement, migrant labourers, mobile service, niai, opening a bank account, ration card, ration cards, tripura, villager