Centre hikes Haj pilgrimage quota to 1.23 lakhSeptember 11th, 2008 - 5:32 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sep 11 (ANI): The Union Government on Thursday increased the annual quota for Haj pilgrimage to 1.23 lakh. However, there will be no corresponding increase in the amount spent as Haj subsidy.
Till now, 110,000 pilgrims were able to perform the Haj on government subsidy. This year, the number has been raised to 123,211, Information and Broadcasting Minister Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi told reporters.
The airfare for these pilgrims has been pegged at last year’’s level of Rs 12,000, the Minister added.
From this year, Indore will become the 17th embarkation point for pilgrims undertaking the Haj.
This will facilitate pilgrims from Madhya Pradesh, Dasmunsi said.
The government also provides subsidy for the pilgrims on the airfare to Saudi Arabia.
There have always been more applicants from states like Kerala and Maharashtra. The committee would adjust these applicants against those states that have smaller Muslim populations.
For instance, a total of 9,401 Muslims from Kerala had applied to the committee this year. The quota for the state last year was 7,563 and pilgrims from Kerala were adjusted against vacant slots from other states like Bihar. (ANI)
- 13,000 more Indian Haj pilgrims this year - Sep 11, 2008
- Haj subsidy to end in 10 years, rules Supreme Court (Roundup) - May 08, 2012
- Apex court seeks details of Haj quota - May 08, 2012
- 125,000 pilgrims to be covered under Haj subsidy - Jul 20, 2012
- Raise UP's quota of Haj pilgrims: Akhilesh - Jun 21, 2012
- India pays Rs.600 crore as Haj subsidy annually - May 08, 2012
- Apex court observations on Haj subsidy - May 08, 2012
- Valid passports must for Indian Haj pilgrimage from 2012 - May 22, 2012
- Apex court observations on Haj subsidy (Lead, superseding earlier story) - May 09, 2012
- Indian Haj 2009 operations to commence from October 20 - Oct 19, 2009
- Preparations for Haj pilgrims on smooth track: Krishna - Aug 12, 2010
- Centre offers more sops to minorities ahead of polls (Lead) - Sep 11, 2008
- Remove Haj subsidy in 10 years, SC tells government (Second Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Delhi to seek hike in Haj quota - May 18, 2011
- UP lodges cases against 176 fraudulent Haj applicants - Jul 09, 2012
Tags: airfare, embarkation point, government subsidy, indore, kerala, madhya pradesh, muslim populations, muslims, New Delhi, pilgrimage, pilgrims, priya ranjan, quota, saudi arabia, sep 11, union government, vacant slots