Centre had warned States about terror threats

November 24th, 2007 - 7:37 pm ICT by admin  

New Delhi, Nov.24 (ANI): The Central Government has been telling the State Governments to increase their vigil and be more aware about potential terror-related threats, especially from Jihadist elements in crowded areas.
Officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said that as far as Fridays blasts in three Uttar Pradesh cities Lucknow, Varanasi and Faizabad the explosives were put together locally.
The Central Government does not want to join issue with Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati, who blamed Central intelligence agencies for not warning her government about the specific terror threats.
The officials further said that State Governments are expected to take action to increase security, especially in areas where people gather in large numbers.
As far as investigations into the blasts and the response to Friday nights e-mail is concerned, they said it revealed that there was certain amount of resentment building up against the lawyers community.
It maybe recalled that lawyers roughed up three arrested militants in Lucknow last week following news that they were reportedly targeting Congress MP rahul Gandhi.
Earlier, those accused of promoting terror-related acts were not able to find lawyers to defend themselves, as the latter were reluctant to do so.
The investigations are finding out the shops from where the bicycles were hired.
Investigators have prima facie ruled out the role of any home grown group of jihadis.
Sources in state police said in Lucknow that the type of explosive devices used indicated that well-trained terrorists were behind the incident.
“All blasts were similar in nature. The possible use of ammonium nitrate to trigger the blast and electronic timer devices only proves that an old hand was involved,”the website, rediff, quoted one official, as saying.
Police officials claimed that while the bombs were low intensity in nature, the places where they were planted ensured that a large number of people were wounded.
“Only an expert in making and planting such devices will know when and where to plant the bomb,” another officer was quoted, as saying.
Earlier in the day, a previously unheard of group called the Indian Mujahideen had claimed responsibility for Fridays bomb blasts.
The Intelligence Bureau (IB), however, said that this was a new ploy by terror outfits to misguide investigating agencies.
It said that the Indian Mujahideen was actually a name used by outfits banned by the Government of India, and comprised of activists belonging to the Harkat-ul-Jihad-e-Islami (HUJI) and the Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI).
The IB said that the e-mail sent in the name4 of Mohammad Shameem proved that the blasts had the hand of the HUJI, as he was a HUJI operative. (ANI)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in National |

Subscribe