Centre for environmental protection assistance to Kashmir: RameshJune 21st, 2009 - 10:18 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, June 21 (IANS) The central government will lend all required assistance to Jammu and Kashmir to protect the state’s green pastures, heritage mountains, forests, natural springs and streams, Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh said here Sunday.
Accompanied by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, Ramesh, who arrived here earlier in the day, visited the Dal, Nageen, Khushalsar, Anchar, Manasbal and Wullar lakes.
The union environment minister is here to review the projects under execution for the conservation of water bodies in the state.
The chief minister informed Ramesh that the state government had already started a massive development programme to protect these lakes which have been the icons of the state’s heritage.
Abdullah also informed Ramesh of the steps being taken to protect the chinar trees in the state.
The union minister went around the Dal Lake here in a boat to get an on the spot appraisal of the ongoing developmental works.
He also interacted with the people living inside the lake to discuss their problems.
- Fiery chinar leaves lend magic to Kashmir (Feature) - Nov 03, 2011
- Indian satellite to check greenhouse gas, aerosol emissions - Sep 28, 2010
- Anchar Lake near Srinagar on the verge of extinction - Apr 10, 2010
- Nabard's Rs.15 bn fund to help women's self-help groups - Apr 14, 2012
- Protect biodiversity, tap resources: Jairam - Sep 15, 2010
- Violent winds leave trail of destruction in Kashmir, one dead (Roundup) - Mar 20, 2012
- One killed as violent winds leave trail of destruction in Kashmir (Second Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Maharashtra village first in India with right to harvest bamboo - Apr 28, 2011
- Over 1,000 Kashmiri youths offered jobs - Dec 17, 2011
- Crocodile sanctuary in the offing: Jairam Ramesh - Dec 28, 2010
- Development must to fight Maoists: Jairam Ramesh - Nov 19, 2011
- New green coastal norms in two weeks: Jairam Ramesh - Dec 27, 2010
- Kashmir's trouts in troubled waters - Apr 16, 2011
- Jairam Ramesh used PMO to sabotage project: Kerala minister - Mar 20, 2010
- Gujarat declines to shift its Asiatic lions to Madhya Pradesh - Apr 03, 2012
Tags: central government, chief minister, conservation of water, dal lake, environment minister, environmental protection, execution, forests, green pastures, heritage, jairam ramesh, june 21, kashmir, massive development, protection assistance, s green, state government, streams, union minister, water bodies