Central Information Commission asks Law Ministry to furnish details of Justice BhallaJanuary 24th, 2009 - 12:18 am ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Jan 23, (ANI): The Central Information Commission (CIC) has directed Law Ministry to disclose all information and file notings regarding the appointment of Chief Justice of Himachal Pradesh Jagdish Bhalla, who was in the middle of a controversy when a file on his promotion was returned by the former President of India.
Chief Justice Bhalla, who was earlier the acting Chief Justice of Chattisgarh was facing allegations of misconduct during his tenure in the Allahabad High Court.
Bhalla, in 2006, was recommended to be elevated as the Chief Justice of Kerala.
After the Presidents objection, the collegium, headed by Chief Justice, K.G. Balakrishnan shifted him to Chattisgarh High Court as a Judge and later, he became the acting Chief Justice of that High Court.
Shanti Bhushan, a representative of pressure group, The Campaign for Judicial Accountability and Judicial Reforms, had urged MPs to move an impeachment motion against Justice Bhalla for alleged irregulations.
The case came in to light when RTI activist, Subhash Chandra Agarwal filed a plea, in which he demanded documents and notes of the Law Ministry along with file notings on the appointment.
Then only, CIC directed the Law Ministry to give details on Chief Justice Bhalla. (ANI)
- Information on judges appointment can''t be revealed under RTI : Govt. - Mar 04, 2009
- CIC cannot ask information on judges' appointment: Court - Mar 04, 2009
- Hasten appointments in transparency panel: Court (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Delhi transit system comes under RTI Act: High court - Jul 08, 2012
- Court stays order to provide Tehelka report to Fernandes - Jul 22, 2011
- Court suspends order to Delhi Police to provide Bhushan CD - Dec 09, 2011
- Notice to government on plea for appointments in RTI ambit - Mar 28, 2011
- Government gets Delhi High Court contempt notice - May 09, 2012
- Government seeks details on Tweeting judges - Aug 11, 2010
- Demand for details on judges goes to constitutional bench - Nov 26, 2010
- Justice Dinakaran seeks stay on inquiry, member's removal - Apr 26, 2011
- Court stays transparency panel's order against CBI - Jul 28, 2011
- Apex court restores powers of transparency panel chief - Oct 18, 2010
- Government gets notice on information panel vacancies (Lead) - Dec 14, 2011
- Court notice to government on CBI exemption from RTI - Jul 06, 2011
Tags: allahabad high court, bhalla, chandra, chief justice, cic, collegium, former president, himachal pradesh, impeachment motion, information commission, jagdish, judicial accountability, judicial reforms, k g balakrishnan, kerala, law ministry, objection, president of india, pressure group, shanti