Central Information Commission and Chief Justice of India disagreeJanuary 17th, 2009 - 6:52 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Jan 17(ANI): The Chief Justice of India K. G. Balakrishnan, is in disagreement with the Central Information Commissions (CIC) order on making assets of its judges available to the public and is not relenting on his stand that judges are not bound to disclose their wealth.
He is taking the stand that even when the judges submit their declarations to the Chief Justice about their wealth, they do so on the basis of confidence and the submissions were not public documents.
The CIC had on January 6 had directed the central PIO of the SC to furnish information as to whether any declaration of assets had been filed by SC judges or not.
Justice Balakrishnan has pointed out that Supreme Court does come under the purview of the RTI Act and for this purpose an information officer has been appointed. But the information submitted to the Chief Justice by the judges on the basis of confidence were not public documents, and the Act does not bind him to disclose the information with him.
Under the Indian Constitution the Supreme Court has the final say on the interpretation of any law. (ANI)
- Chief Justice of India comes under purview of RTI Act, says Delhi High Court - Jan 12, 2010
- Chronology of judges' assets case - Jan 12, 2010
- Ex-judge moves high court over complaint against him - Feb 01, 2011
- Historic, say RTI activists after ruling on apex judges' assets - Jan 12, 2010
- Transparency panel's order on Supreme Court cases stayed (Lead) - Sep 13, 2011
- Chief Justice of India office in RTI ambit: high court (Second Lead) - Jan 12, 2010
- The year apex court judges declared their assets (Flashback 2009) - Dec 29, 2009
- No need to make emergency documents public: Court - Jul 12, 2011
- Can't disclose my wealth: Balakrishnan - Apr 18, 2011
- Delhi transit system comes under RTI Act: High court - Jul 08, 2012
- Income Tax returns: Moily defends former CJI Balakrishnan - Feb 15, 2011
- Delhi High Court putting CJI in RTI ambit will invite apex court scrutiny - Jan 12, 2010
- Court blocks Narayanan-Vajpayee letters on Gujarat riots (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Apex court shelves CIC order on judicial appointment - Dec 04, 2009
- Apex court moves Delhi High Court against judges' assets (Third lead) - Oct 05, 2009
Tags: assets, chief justice of india, cic, commissions, confidence, declarations, disagreement, indian constitution, information commission, information officer, january 6, k g balakrishnan, New Delhi, pio, public documents, purview, rti act, sc judges, submissions, supreme court