Center gives green signal to ONGC for Imperial Energy takeoverDecember 9th, 2008 - 4:17 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Dec.9 (ANI): The Union Government has given the signal to the state-run oil company, Oil and Natural Gas Corporation(Videsh) Limited (ONGC) to make a formal offer for acquiring 100 per cent equity in the UK-listed Imperial Energy.
A special meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) was convened to consider the Imperial bid here today. ONGC Videsh Ltd’’s 1,250 pence a share bid gave the company a 10 per cent internal rate of return (IRR) taking crude at USD 121 a barrel, but with rupee depreciating by 20 per cent against the dollar and crude falling to around USD 40 a barrel the IRR has come down to 3-4 per cent.
Imperial explores oil in Siberia region of Russia and had the equivalent of 920 million barrels of proven and probable oil reserves as of December 2007, according to an audit by DeGolyer & McNaughton.
Earlier, UK’’s takeover panel had rejected parent company- ONGC’’s plea for more time to make a formal offer for acquisition of Imperial Energy Corporation. Union Petroleum Minister Murli Deora, however, declined to comment, saying “We will let you know in due course.” However, sources said the CCEA has approved ONGC Videsh Limited (OVL) to go-ahead with the bid for 1.4 billion pounds despite returns falling on lines with crude prices.
The meeting was chaired by the Prime Minister, Dr.Manmohan Singh.(ANI)
- Cairn revises Barmer oil field upwards to 6.5 bn barrels - Mar 23, 2010
- Cairn now puts Rajasthan oil field at 6.5 bn barrels (Lead) - Mar 23, 2010
- ONGC Videsh declares progressive 2009-10 financial results - May 22, 2010
- ONGC Videsh targets 20 mn tonnes output by 2020 - Aug 18, 2011
- Nigeria positive on Indian plea for raising crude supply - Nov 03, 2010
- Bolivia plans $1.73 bn in energy investments in 2011 - Dec 27, 2010
- India's $3 bn oil stake in South Sudan now looks safe - Aug 04, 2012
- ONGC approves Cairn-Vedanta deal - Sep 28, 2011
- India, Russia to increase hydrocarbon cooperation - Dec 21, 2010
- 'Indian oil investments in both Sudans safe' - Apr 04, 2012
- Cabinet approves $2.18 bn investment in Venezuela oil block - Mar 19, 2010
- Latin America - Energising India (Comment) - Jun 21, 2012
- ONGC reports Q1 net profit of Rs.6,078 crore - Aug 11, 2012
- Oil companies to bear Rs.121,571 crore under-recoveries: Reddy - Oct 19, 2011
- ONGC-Videsh going ahead with South China Sea exploration - Apr 24, 2012
Tags: cabinet committee, crude prices, degolyer, dr manmohan singh, economic affairs, energy corporation, internal rate of return, manmohan, manmohan singh, mcnaughton, murli deora, oil company, oil reserves, ovl, parent company, pence, rate of return, rupee, takeover panel, union government