Census 2011: India’s population now estimated at 1,210.2 millionMarch 31st, 2011 - 2:44 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 31 (ANI): India’s population is now estimated at 1,210.2 million, an increase of over 181 million in the last 10 years, according to the provisional 2011 Census report released on Thursday.
Releasing the report, the Registrar General of India and Census Commissioner Dr. C. Chandramauli said the country’s population growth in 2011 is 17.64 per cent in comparison to 21.15 per cent in 2001.
Of the total population, 623.7 million are males and 586.5 million are females.
This is an increase of 181 million people since the last Census - nearly equivalent to the population of Brazil.
India’s population is now bigger than the combined population of USA, Indonesia, Brazil, Pakistan and Bangladesh.
Among the states and Union territories, Uttar Pradesh is the most populous state with 199 million people and Lakshadweep the least populated at 64,429.
The combined population of Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra is bigger than that of the US.
While Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Puducherry has the highest population growth rate of about 55 percent, Nagaland has the lowest.
The density of population is highest in Delhi, followed by Chandigarh.
The report said Delhi’s north-east district has the highest population density as 37,346 persons live per square kilo metre while the lowest is in Dibang Valley in Arunachal Pradesh with only one person per square kilo metre.
The report said that Jammu and Kashmir, Bihar and Gujarat show decline in sex ratio while 29 states show an increase.
The report further said that the literacy rate has gone up from 64.83 per cent in 2001 to 74.04 per cent in 2011 showing an increase of 9.21 per cent.
This is the 15th Census conducted since 1872. It was carried out in two phases, covering 640 districts and 5924 sub-districts. (ANI)
- Census highlights: India home to 17.5 percent of world population - Mar 31, 2011
- India's population rises to 1.20 billion (Lead) - Mar 31, 2011
- India's population is 1.21 billion, gender imbalance worsens (Roundup) - Mar 31, 2011
- India's population rises to 1.20 billion, growth rate declines (Second Lead) - Mar 31, 2011
- Literacy rises by 9.2 percent, now 74.04 percent - Mar 31, 2011
- Declining child sex ratio matter of concern: Tirath - Mar 31, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh most populous, Lakshadweep least - Mar 31, 2011
- Andhra population at 84.6 million, up 11 percent - Mar 31, 2011
- Jharkhand sex ratio above national average - Sep 21, 2011
- Mizoram, Tripura beat terror past to become literacy front-runners - Apr 04, 2011
- Sex ratio of Haryana improves - Aug 12, 2011
- Assam's elephant population increasing - Mar 31, 2012
- More literacy, but improve education quality too: Experts - Apr 10, 2011
- Lowest in literacy but with highest sex ratio - Apr 07, 2011
- Kerala population grows to 33 mn, sex ratio also up - Apr 01, 2011
Tags: bihar, census report, dadra, highest population, jammu and kashmir, literacy rate, maharashtra, nagaland, nagar haveli, population density, population growth rate, population of brazil, population of usa, populous state, puducherry, registrar general of india, report said that, sex ratio, total population, union territories