CEC to review poll preparedness in Himachal PradeshNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:18 am ICT by admin
Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh and some of his Cabinet Ministers are also likely to meet Gopalswami.
According to reports, a team led by Singh will urge the Election Commission (EC) to change polling dates keeping in view the snow season of December.
Singh on Monday met Goplaswami in New Delhi and urged him to reschedule the dates. He told Goplaswami that the present schedule was in the “midst of heavy winter”, and should be postponed.
The Congress leaders told the Commission that the tenure of the current assembly will expire in March 2008, but as per the new schedule a new assembly will be formed after December 28 when the votes will be counted resulting in existence of two assemblies, present and the next one, simultaneously.
However, the opposition BJP has opposed any move to reschedule the poll dates.he party urged the EC to “strictly adhere to the election schedule as announced” on October 10.
The party also urged the EC to “strictly adhere to the election schedule as announced” on October 10. The party also requested the EC to ensure that the model code of conduct is enforced in the state properly.
State Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Jai Ram Thakur and Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) state convenor Vijay Singh Mankotia are also likely to meet the EC team.
The Electoral process for the 68-member State Assembly would begin from October 20, and counting will take place on December 28, he added.
The term of the current State Assembly is till March 9, 2008. (ANI)
- Election Commission is winner in Punjab polls (Punjab Newsletter) - Feb 04, 2012
- Stop distribution of TV sets: EC tells Karunanidhi Govt. - Mar 02, 2011
- AGP unhappy with Assam poll schedule, Congress welcomes it - Mar 02, 2011
- Postpone polls, urge Tamil Nadu parties (Lead) - Mar 03, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh first phase poll shifted to March 3, counting March 6 (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- 'Reforms in poll panel needed for better functioning' - Mar 15, 2011
- Karunanidhi disappointed with Tamil Nadu election schedule - Mar 02, 2011
- Electoral Officers asked to monitor, investigate paid news - Mar 03, 2011
- Five states go to polls in April-May - Mar 02, 2011
- Tussle between a 'miffed' Congress and a 'happy' BJP over Himachal poll dates - Nov 14, 2007
- Casg flow in Tamil Nadu during polls a challenge: official - Mar 14, 2011
- Poll panel stops Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll, urges cancellation (Intro Roundup) - Mar 31, 2012
- Poll panel watching! Punjab goes low on ladoos, posters (Punjab Newsletter) - Jan 21, 2012
- Election Commission team to visit Bihar - Sep 15, 2010
- Tight security for Bengal vote counting - May 11, 2011
Tags: adhere, bahujan samaj party, bjp president, bsp, cec, congress leaders, december 28, ec, election schedule, himachal pradesh, jai ram, model code, poll dates, reschedule, snow season, state assembly, strictly, urge, vijay singh, virbhadra singh