CEC to commence three-day Gujarat visit todayNovember 14th, 2007 - 3:03 am ICT by admin
Gopalaswami will also meet District Electoral Officers of Surat, Navsari, Dangs and Valsad to take stock of the arrangements.
On Wednesday, Gopalaswami will visit Vadodara and interact with the DEOs of Vadodara, Godhra, Dahod, Narmada and Bharuch.
This is the CEC’s second visit to Gujarat after the announcement of election dates on October 10.
In the run up to the two-phase polling, political activities have started gaining momentum, particularly after the Tehelka sting operations related to 2002 post Godhra riots, with the BJP and the Congress trading charges and counter-charges against each other.
The electoral process for the 12th Gujarat State Assembly will begin from November 15, and state electorate will cast their votes on December 11 and 16.
Counting of votes for the 182-member Gujarat assembly will take place on December 23.
The Bharatiya Janata Party managed to win 127 seats, while the Congress party was able to win only 51 seats in the 2002 Gujarat assembly polls. The Janata Dal (United) and independents won two seats each. (ANI)
- CEC meets seven District Collectors of Gujarat - Nov 14, 2007
- BJP improves Gujarat tally, key Congress candidates lose (Third Lead) - May 16, 2009
- BJP names Rajya Sabha candidate for Gujarat seat - Feb 13, 2010
- Congress in Gujarat: Lost in the shadows (Gujarat Newsletter) - Mar 24, 2011
- Electoral process in Gujarat to begin today - Nov 15, 2007
- Electoral process in Gujarat to begin tomorrow - Nov 14, 2007
- Less than 40 percent rainfall in 11 of 26 Gujarat districts - Aug 25, 2009
- BJP set to sweep Gujarat municipal elections - Oct 12, 2010
- EVM's reliability challenged in Gujarat court - Oct 15, 2010
- Congress's Gandhinagar win a dent in Modi's invincibility? (Gujarat Newsletter) - Apr 22, 2011
- Ajmer blast: Rajasthan cops arrest man in Gujarat - Nov 04, 2010
- Sonia Gandhi to kick off her party's campaign in Gujarat - Nov 14, 2007
- Poll chief seeks parity in removal process of commissioners - Jan 27, 2010
- BJP sweeps local bodies polls in Gujarat - Oct 23, 2010
- Modi steps up attack on Congress-led UPA - Jun 10, 2012
Tags: assembly polls, bharatiya janata party, bjp, cec, congress party, election dates, electoral officers, godhra riots, gujarat state, narmada, navsari, state electorate, sting operations, surat, tehelka, vadodara