CCI approves project for to make Yamuna River pollution free

May 19th, 2010 - 11:31 pm ICT by ANI  

New Delhi, May 19 (ANI): The Cabinet Committee on Infrastructure (CCI) on Wednesday approved the project for laying interceptor sewers along the three major drains in Delhi for abatement of pollution in the Yamuna River.

Interceptor sewers would be laid along Najafgarh, Supplementary and Shahdara drains.

The project is expected to cost of Rs. 1357.71 crore.

It would be for funding under JNNURM as per the funding pattern of the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban renewal Mission (JNNURM) viz Government of India [Additional Central Assistance (ACA)] - 35 percent, Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi (GNCTD) -15 percent, Delhi Jal Board (DJB) -50 percent.

Delhi’s population has grown at a phenomenal rate of 47percent per decade (as against the national average of 21 percent), but planning and provisioning of infrastructure has not kept pace with the increase in population, resulting in rural villages, shanties and colonies without adequate sewerage infrastructure.

Only around 54percent of the population is connected to this sewerage network, leaving 46percent of the population uncovered.

The colonies, villages and Jhuggi Jhopri (JJ) clusters without sewerage facilities are mainly in outer Delhi areas and the wastewater generated is presently flowing into river Yamuna through 18 drains and sub-drains.

Of these 18 drains, the 3 major drains of Najafgarh, Supplementary and Shahadara contribute maximum pollution load.

About 1764 MLD of wastewater flows through 190 sub-drains into these 3 major drains and then in the Yamuna river.

To tackle the pollution level in river Yamuna, DJB has envisaged the concept of Interceptor Sewers for tapping the sub-drains falling into Najafgarh, Supplementary and Shahdara drains.

In the long run, it is envisaged that these interceptor sewers shall act as trunk sewers, once the sewers are laid in unsewered areas.(ANI)

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in National |