CCEA approves reservation package for ITIDecember 24th, 2009 - 7:17 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Dec 24 (ANI) : The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) on Thursday approved the proposal of Department of Telecommunications regarding continuation of reservation quota for Indian telecom Industry (ITI) Limited.
With this the Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) and Mahanagar Telecom Nigam Limited (MTNL) have to reserve a minimum of 30 percent of their product requirements to ITI.
The Bangalore based ITI Ltd., a Public Sector Undertaking under Ministry of Communication & IT, Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has incurred accumulated loss of Rs.3219 crore in the last fiscal.
As the financial position of ITI is very bad the CCEA, directed DoT to bring up a comprehensive proposal for financial restructuring of the Company.
Accordingly, a revival package for ITI is under consideration of the Telecom Department.
In order to enable ITI to survive in the competitive environment of telecom manufacturing, BSNL and MTNL have been extending reservation benefit of 30 percent along with 70 percent advance to ITI Ltd.
The ITI would accept orders under reservation quota only after the price is known and further if the same is commercially viable.
The BSNL and MTNL will give 70 percent advance against the orders placed on ITI so that ITI does not face the problem of working capital for the execution of the orders subject to adequate safeguards for proper utilization of these advances.
The aforesaid policy measures shall remain in force for a period of one year with effect from 21.09.2009 and shall again be reviewed considering the financial health of ITI and advantages derived in revival package as decided by CCEA. (ANI)
- MTNL, BSNL merger proposal being examined - Aug 11, 2011
- Shipping Corp, ITI scrips rise on stake sale, quota extension - Oct 06, 2010
- BSNL, MTNL say not seeking concessions on 3G payment - May 20, 2010
- BSNL submits proposal on voluntary retirement to DoT - Nov 30, 2011
- Telecom service cadre asks government for 'apt' jobs - Nov 23, 2011
- Government asks 3G auction winners to pay by May 31 - May 21, 2010
- Government kitty swells $15 bn as telcos pay for 3G spectrum - May 31, 2010
- State-run telecom operators turn red - Aug 17, 2011
- 3G auction issue to be resolved soon: Minister - Feb 19, 2010
- BSNL, MTNL lost subscribers post mobile number portability - Aug 05, 2011
- Revenue from 3G auction reaches Rs.48,677.47 crore - May 07, 2010
- Mumbai, Delhi neck-and-neck in 3G spectrum auction - Apr 24, 2010
- BSNL to expand 3G services to 120 more cities by December - Nov 04, 2010
- BSNL 3G services to be in 760 cities by December (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Nov 04, 2010
- 3G auction: Pan-India licence price now over Rs.5,000 cr - Apr 16, 2010
Tags: adequate safeguards, bharat sanchar nigam, bharat sanchar nigam limited, bsnl, cabinet committee, competitive environment, crore, economic affairs, financial health, financial position, financial restructuring, indian telecom, iti, mahanagar, policy measures, proper utilization, public sector undertaking, revival package, telecom department, telecom industry