CBI interrogates Rizwanur’s wife Priyanka TodiNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:43 am ICT by admin
According to sources, the CBI took Priyanka to an undisclosed location. This is said to be Priyanka’s first opportunity to give her statement to the investigating agency.
Earlier, Priyanka, in her representation to the National Commission of Women (NCW), had said that she was unsure whether Rizwanur committed suicide or was it murder.
At that point of time, giving a clean chit to the Kolkata Police, she said that she and Rizwanur was never harassed by the police.
Yesterday, apart from Pradip Todi, the CBI also interrogated Ashok’s uncle Anil Sarogi who is alleged to have been an eyewitness to Rizwanur’s death.
“We called Pradip Todi and asked him a few questions. His statement has been recorded and we are examining it,” Arun Kumar, who is spearheading the seven-member CBI investigation team, said.
On Monday, the CBI team also visited Rizwanur’s workplace and interrogated some of his friends and colleagues.
The CBI team arrived in Kolkata on Friday night after the Calcutta High Court directed it to investigate the case following Rizwarnur’s family’s plea to transfer the case to the CBI.
The CBI team on Saturday visited the Patipukur area in West Bengal, where Rizwanur’s body was found last month.
Rizawanur’s body was found on the railway tracks between Bidhannagar Road and Dum Dum Junction on September 21, almost a month after his marriage to Priyanka.
The investigation agency has registered an FIR against Ashok Todi and others under Section 302 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
Following a public outcry over the case, the West Bengal Government on Wednesday ordered the transfer of top police officials of the State including, Kolkata Police Commissioner Prasun Mukherjee.
Mukherjee, and his two deputies - Gyanwant Singh and Ajay Kumar, along with Assistant Commissioner of the Anti-Rowdy section Sukanti Chakraborty and Sub-Inspector Krishnendu Ghosh were handed transfer orders as there were allegations against them of harassing Rizwanur.
According to media reports, some police officers, who were allegedly influenced by Todi, pressurised Rizwanur to end his marriage with Priyanka.
The CBI has been asked to submit its report in next two months. (ANI)
- Put Ashok Todi to trial in Rizwanur case: Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Mar 01, 2011
- CBI prays for abetment to suicide in Rizwanur case - Mar 21, 2011
- Rizwanur case: Supreme Court to decide on CBI probe - Mar 01, 2011
- Rizwanur case: Calcutta High Court to frame charges against Todi - Mar 21, 2011
- Rizwan case: Calcutta HC directs CBI to initiate fresh probe - May 18, 2010
- Rizwanur case: Kolkata court directs framing of suicide charges against Todi - Apr 21, 2011
- Supreme Court rejects reinvestigation in Rizwanur murder case - Mar 01, 2011
- Rizwanur case: CBI moves Supreme Court, challenges Calcutta High Court's order - Sep 01, 2010
- Put Todi to trial for Rizwanur death: Supreme Court (Lead) - Mar 01, 2011
- Put Ashok Todi to trial for Rizwanur murder: Supreme Court - Mar 01, 2011
- Court asks CBI to conduct fresh probe into Rizwanur death - May 18, 2010
- Rizwanur case: CBI grills Ashok Todi's brother - Nov 14, 2007
- Kolkata cops guilty, Rizwanur's mother tells apex court - Feb 22, 2011
- Punish Kolkata cops, Rizwanur's mother tells apex court (Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- Rizwanur Rehman death: Apex court questions Bengal, Todi - Oct 18, 2010
Tags: ajay kumar, arun kumar, ashok, assistant commissioner, calcutta high court, cbi team, crime branch, indian penal code, investigating agency, investigation agency, investigation team, kolkata, pradip, priyanka, todi, west bengal government