CBI gives clean chit to accused in Shopian rape and murder caseDecember 14th, 2009 - 4:00 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, Dec 14 (ANI): The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) today gave a clean chit to the accused in the Shopian rape and murder case, denying that the two women had been raped before being killed.
In its final report submitted to the Jammu and Kashmir High Court, the CBI said 22-year-old Neelofar and her sister-in-law Aasiya had drowned.
Earlier this year, the Shopian incident had sparked off an agitation in Kashmir. Protesters are demanding that those responsible for the rape and murder be brought to justice.
On September 12, the Jammu and Kashmir High Court had granted bail to the four policemen who were accused of having a role in the case.
The policemen - Former Superintendent of Police of Shopian Javed Iqbal Mattoo, Deputy Superintendent of Police Rohit Baskota, Station House Officer Shopian Shafiq Ahmed and Sub-inspector Gazi Abdul Rehman - were released on payment of a bond of Rs.50, 000 each.
The four had been accused of destroying evidence related to the case. (ANI)
- Shopian case: Relatives protest against delay in justice - Jun 07, 2010
- CBI's Shopian report not gospel truth: High Court - Dec 14, 2009
- Shopian case: CBI to submit report today - Dec 14, 2009
- Shopian rape and murder case: Victims family refuses to accept CBI's report - Dec 14, 2009
- Shopian rape case: Lawyers forum demands probe - Dec 19, 2009
- Kashmir shuts down over CBI's Shopian murder conclusions - Dec 15, 2009
- CBI exhumes Shopian victims bodies - Sep 28, 2009
- Shopian victims bodies to be exhumed today - Sep 28, 2009
- CBI takes over Shopian rape and murder case - Sep 17, 2009
- Shopian Case: J and K High court grants bail to four cops - Sep 11, 2009
- Shopian court rejects bail plea of J- K police officers - Aug 06, 2009
- Mehbooba Mufti throws microphone at Speaker in Kashmir Assembly - Jul 27, 2009
- Shopian case: J- K police officers bail plea hearing today - Jul 27, 2009
- SC directs arrested J and K cops to move bail petition in Shopian case - Jul 24, 2009
- Four Shopian police officers' blood samples collected - Jul 19, 2009
Tags: aasiya, agitation, cbi, central bureau of investigation, clean chit, deputy superintendent, destroying evidence, house officer, javed iqbal, kashmir, murder case, policemen, protesters, rape, rehman, rs 50, sister in law, station house, two women