Casual workers of Nandankanan zoo on indefinite strikeFebruary 11th, 2009 - 8:54 pm ICT by ANI
Bhubaneswar, Feb 11 (ANI): Casual workers at the Nandankanan Biological Park in Orissa have gone on an indefinite cease work agitation over a demand for regularization of their jobs. This has caused hardship to about 1200 animals at the zoo.
The casual workers said that their job involved risks and complained of not receiving any health or social security benefits. “We do not have any kind of healthcare facilities at all. In case of any mishap, there is no such relief,” said Bhaskar Samal, a contractual employee.
The authorities, however, claimed that they have made alternative arrangements.
The further said that a few NGOs have been approached for help to provide food to the animals.
Visitors at the zoo were not convinced about the regular upkeep of animals.
“If the strike has been going on for long, then it will definitely affect the animals. As the animals stay inside closed enclosures, and if they are not taken care of properly, then it will severely affect their health,” claimed Sunita, a visitor.
The casual employees have been agitating since February 8. They claimed that the remuneration of 2,100 rupees per month was grossly inadequate. The Nandankanan Zoo, which is spread over 1,940 square kilometres, is home to over 67 species of mammals, 18 varieties of reptiles and 81 species of birds.
The zoo enjoys an international reputation for breeding white tigers, black panthers and crocodiles in captivity. (ANI)
- Sweeden's park where wolves killed Zookeeper now offers "wild encounters" to its visitors - Jun 19, 2012
- Indian zoos to be graded on performance - Apr 10, 2012
- No anthrax at Delhi zoo: Officials - May 02, 2012
- Five tiger cubs die in Odisha's Nandankanan zoo - Nov 18, 2011
- Delhi Zoo becomes virtual island, agencies pass buck - Sep 11, 2011
- Orissa zoo launches special summer menu for animals - May 16, 2011
- Coolers help zoo animals beat heat - Mar 19, 2010
- Rajkot Zoo sets up top-open enclosures for leopards - May 29, 2010
- Wildlife guardians: Adoptions rise at Van Vihar (With Image) - Jun 22, 2011
- Leopard mauls croc keeper to death in China zoo - Jul 19, 2012
- Ape injures girl after escaping from zoo - Jul 16, 2012
- Wolves kill zoo keeper at Swedish zoo - Jun 18, 2012
- Leopard, lion die in Bangalore zoo - Oct 24, 2010
- Odisha orders probe into five tiger cubs' death - Nov 21, 2011
- Delhi zoo looks at better upkeep - with its own revenue - Feb 10, 2012
Tags: agitation, alternative arrangements, animals at the zoo, biological park, black panthers, captivity, contractual employee, crocodiles, healthcare facilities, indefinite strike, international reputation, mishap, orissa, regularization, rupees, social security benefits, species of birds, square kilometres, upkeep, white tigers