Cash-strapped Queen urged to tighten her beltSeptember 26th, 2008 - 1:12 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 26 (ANI): The Queen could face a cash crunch by 2011 but her secret pleas to the Government for extra money are being refused, it has been claimed.
Palace aides have told ministers the monarchy’’s finances have been eroded by inflation and more money is needed to pay for the royal family’’s official duties and the upkeep of its palaces.
However, their calls have been ignored, leaving the Queen forced to make massive cutbacks before she goes broke.
Aides say Parliament must increase both the 15 million pounds it pays to maintain the Royal Estate, and the 7.9 million pounds for the Civil List, which pays for the senior royals” official functions.
Without a state bailout, the Queen will be unable to balance her books within the next three years, an investigation by accountants Baker Tilly claims.
She tries to watch her budget and has been seen walking round Buckingham Palace turning lights off, the Daily Star quoted a source, as saying.
Its not quite down to porridge and baked beans for State banquets.
But the Queen is going to have to make some serious savings like the rest of her subjects.
It wont go down well among some of the free-spending royals, but they will just have to grin and bear it, the source added.
According to latest figures, Buckingham Palace spends 9.1million pounds on staff salaries. More than 6 million pounds goes on travel, including 800,000 pounds run up by Prince Andrew, 48.
Another 900,000 pounds goes on gardens, 600,000 pounds on housekeeping and furnishings and 1.2 million on admin pounds. The total bill overall is 40 million pounds, excluding security.
Palace accounts show that the 82-year-old had to dip heavily into her cash reserves in recent years.
Some of her market investments have crashed and that, combined with the credit crunch, has tested her finances to the limits.
But Labour MP Ian Davidson said last night: Its absurd for one of the wealthiest women in the world to ask for additional taxpayers money. (ANI)
- Cost of maintaining British royal family drops - Jul 05, 2010
- British royal family told to cut expenses - Oct 09, 2010
- Situation vacant for chauffeur worth the Royals - Aug 15, 2012
- Kate's parents to spend 100,000 pounds on royal wedding - Apr 18, 2011
- British queen's pay rise ruled out - Dec 06, 2011
- Photographs Of Queen Elizabeth And The British Royal Family To Be Uploaded On Flickr - Jul 26, 2010
- Recession-hit Queen 'to go bankrupt in 2 years' - Jul 06, 2010
- Brit daily wins right to disclose Queen's finances - Dec 21, 2009
- Queen's diamond jubilee celebration kicks off - Jun 02, 2012
- Duchess of York 'faces bankruptcy' - Aug 08, 2010
- Now, Queen Elizabeth joins Facebook! - Nov 07, 2010
- Spain's king earns 244,000 pounds a year - Dec 29, 2011
- Prince Andrew denies soliciting cash gift to ease ex-wife's debts - Mar 14, 2011
- Queen's Facebook page gets 200K fans in just 2 days! - Nov 11, 2010
- Who will pick the Royal wedding tab - Prince William or Brit taxpayers? - Nov 18, 2010
Tags: bailout, baked beans, baker tilly, banquets, buckingham palace, cash crunch, cash reserves, credit crunch, daily star, extra money, labour mp, market investments, monarchy, palaces, porridge, prince andrew, royal family, staff salaries, wealthiest women in the world, women in the world