Cash for votes rains in Tamil Nadu, Rs 5.11 cr seizedApril 5th, 2011 - 2:47 pm ICT by ANI
Trichy, Apr 5 (ANI): In yet another haul of unaccounted cash in poll-bound Tamil Nadu, six bags full of currency worth Rs 5.11 crore have been recovered in Trichy on Tuesday.
The bags containing bundles of 500 and 1000 rupees currency were stashed in an Omni bus parked inside a depot of a private bus transport company at Ponnagar in the city.
Talking to reporters, S Sangeetha, Revenue Divisional Officer and Returning Officer of Tiruchirapalli West, who led the team said based on specific information, the officials conducted the raid at 2. a.m. and effected the seizure.
“Investigation is still on as to whom this money belongs to,” Sangeetha added.
The bus was impounded and the cash handed over to Income Tax Department.
This was said to be the first major seizure of money in the State after the notification of State Assembly Election scheduled to be held on April 13. (ANI)
- Rs.5.11 crore seized from bus roof in Tamil Nadu - Apr 05, 2011
- Money, money... how moolah gets around in Tamil Nadu polls - Apr 12, 2011
- Hours before poll panel's arrival, Rs.85 lakh seized in Punjab - Dec 26, 2011
- Karmapa cash row: Enforcement Directorate begins probe - Feb 01, 2011
- Karmapa cash row: Tug of war over seized currency - Apr 24, 2011
- Rs.5 crore cash seized in poll-bound Punjab - Dec 29, 2011
- Over Rs 7.5 crore unaccounted cash seized in Bengal, Assam - Mar 25, 2011
- More raids follow as agencies probe Karmapa money links (Second Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- Karmapa cash row: Enforcement Directorate scans records (Lead) - Feb 01, 2011
- Rs.3.5 crore seized in Punjab - Dec 28, 2011
- Karmapa's office hands over $150,000 to ED - Mar 19, 2011
- Karmapa's aide records statement with ED - Mar 21, 2011
- Currency row: Karmapa office assures cooperation - Dec 09, 2011
- Arms, cash, illicit liquor: Punjab goes to political war (Punjab Newsletter) - Jan 08, 2012
- Cover all statues of Mayawati, BSP symbol: Quraishi (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
Tags: bus transport company, cr, crore, currency worth, divisional officer, income tax department, money, omni bus, poll, private bus, returning officer, rupees, sangeetha, seizure, state assembly election, tiruchirapalli, worth rs