Cartoons turn kids into yobsMarch 6th, 2009 - 12:46 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 6 (ANI): Tom & Jerry, Digimon and Scooby Doo might seem the perfect shows for your little one, but theyre actually turning kids into yobs, a new study has warned.
According to psychologists, primary school pupils ape verbal aggression in cartoons such as Pokemon.
To reach the conclusion, behaviour in class was compared to the types of shows watched by pupils as young as seven.
There is ample evidence physical aggression on TV is associated with increases in aggressive behaviour, The Sun quoted researcher Jennifer Linder, as saying.
The study comprised of 95 primary pupils and asked them about their favourite TV shows and then rated them for violent content.
Programmes like Bugs Bunny were analysed for indirect, physical and verbal aggression.
Shows aimed at children aged seven or older were found to contain the highest level of physical violence, nearly three times as much as shows aimed at 14-year-olds. (ANI)
- Scooby Doo Mystery Inc. Makes Its Debut On Cartoon Network - Jul 13, 2010
- Cartoon characters on snack packages influence kids' food choices - Jun 23, 2010
- Cartoons 'should have movie-style age ratings' to protect kids against violence - Nov 09, 2009
- Bullying girls' 'behave worse in classroom than boys' - Apr 18, 2011
- Brit youths commit one crime every two minutes - Mar 06, 2009
- British schools send off 900 violent pupils each day - Jul 30, 2011
- Computer games could be turning your kid violent - Jul 26, 2012
- Anger management lessons for pupils at British school - Jan 24, 2012
- Inconsistent parental discipline creates anti-social kids - Feb 27, 2012
- Primary school teachers in UK 'most at risk of assault' - Mar 29, 2010
- Sports help cool aggression among boys - Jul 07, 2011
- Reality TV high on aggression: Study - May 22, 2010
- 'Tom and Jerry' now in Tibetan language - Jan 14, 2012
- British teachers warn of rising pupil-violence - Mar 30, 2012
- Cartoons Become Hot Searches For Facebook Profile Picture - Dec 05, 2010
Tags: 14 year olds, aggressive behaviour, amp, ample evidence, bugs bunny, conclusion, digimon, favourite tv, linder, london, physical aggression, physical violence, pokemon, psychologists, researcher, school pupils, scooby doo, three times, tv shows, verbal aggression