Capello believes England team as good as AC Milan team of the 1990sNovember 24th, 2008 - 2:28 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov.24 (ANI): England football coach Fabio Capello believes the team is as good, if not better than the team that represented Italian club AC Milan in the 1990s.
News of the World quoted Capello as saying that he saw clear similarities with a Milan side dubbed The Invincibles after they won four Serie A titles in five years and thrashed Barcelona 4-0 in the 1994 European Cup Final.
That side then had all-time greats Marco van Basten, Ruud Gullit, Paolo Maldini and Franco Baresi.
Besides plundering silverware at home and abroad, the Italian giants also went almost two years without losing a league match at home: 58 games stretching from May 1991 to March 1993.
Now, after five wins in a row, the England coach reckons the Three Lions share the same drive, determination, courage, belief and togetherness.
Capello said: The spirit of this group is as good as any I have ever managed. When I started at AC Milan I found that special spirit there and we achieved great things together.
Together you win and together you lose. But only together can you do great things. For without this belief it is impossible to succeed, he added.
I think now England has the spirit and those very good players. We are a very good team and we can play at the same level as the best countries in the world, he said.
Capello has not just worked his magic on Englands players, though. The brilliant run of results has lifted the nation, too.
The World Cup is his ultimate ambition, though.
I have achieved most of things that I wanted to with England in my first year. But I have one wish still and that is to play at Wembley like we do away. This is very important. Our biggest test now is our next World Cup qualifying match against Ukraine at home in April, Capello said. (ANI)
- Gullit tips Germany to win Euro 2012 - Jun 07, 2012
- 'Capello is a tough coach' - Jul 08, 2012
- Capello 'confident' of Russia's 2014 chances - Jul 18, 2012
- Capello reveals his loves and fears in magazine interview - Sep 17, 2009
- Netherlands can repeat success of 1988, says Muhren - Jun 07, 2012
- Capello looks for right World Cup mix for England (Group C team profile) - May 28, 2010
- Van Basten named new coach of SC Heerenveen - Feb 14, 2012
- Ex-England coach Capello spotted at Moscow airport - Jul 12, 2012
- Indian football coach Koevermans gets thumbs up from Gullit - Jul 29, 2012
- Cup absentees: Ronaldinho sulks, Ballack on holiday - Jun 11, 2010
- Russia's foreign quota complicates my task: Capello - Jul 18, 2012
- Strootman from fan to player at Euro 2012 - Jun 07, 2012
- Ruud Gullit for pact barring big clubs luring away native talent - Jul 29, 2012
- Russia name Capello as new national coach - Jul 16, 2012
- 'Below-par performing' England on course for World Cup glory: Gullit - May 28, 2010
Tags: ac milan, coach fabio capello, england coach, england football, england team, football coach, franco baresi, invincibles, italian club, lions share, marco van basten, milan team, news of the world, paolo maldini, ruud gullit, special spirit, three lions, time greats, togetherness, wembley