Candlelight vigil for peace in NandigramNovember 14th, 2007 - 10:16 am ICT by admin
The venue for the vigil is outside St Xavier’s College.
The first candlelight vigil was held in Kolkata was in the Rizwanur case where the public demanded a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) inquiry into his death.
Rizawanur’s body was found on the railway tracks between Bidhannagar Road and Dum Dum Junction on September 21, almost a month after his marriage to Priyanka Todi, daughter of a Hindu businessman.
In Nandigram, a turf war between the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) and Trinamool Congress workers has already claimed four lives, besides leaving thousands homeless and dozens injured.
On Wednesday, Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee took to the streets to demand central intervention and the immediate dismissal of the government of West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee.
Two persons were killed and 10 others were injured in a fresh bout of violence on Tuesday. The casualties were the victims of a landmine explosion in the area.
CPI (M) and the BUPC supporters exchanged several rounds of fire at Gokulnagar, Ranichak, Bhangaberia and Satengabari.
Earlier, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh expressed concern over Nandigram violence and asked Union Home Minister Shivraj Patil to look into it urgently.
Nandigram has been the scene of recurring clashes since January resulting in deaths, including 14 in police firing and violence on March 14 when villagers resisted the police from entering. (ANI)
- Rizwanur case: Kolkata court directs framing of suicide charges against Todi - Apr 21, 2011
- Rizwanur case: Supreme Court to decide on CBI probe - Mar 01, 2011
- Rizwanur case: Calcutta High Court to frame charges against Todi - Mar 21, 2011
- Supreme Court rejects reinvestigation in Rizwanur murder case - Mar 01, 2011
- CBI prays for abetment to suicide in Rizwanur case - Mar 21, 2011
- Five years on, Nandigram feels forgotten and betrayed - Jan 03, 2012
- Tension continues to prevail in Nandigram - Nov 14, 2007
- Cop probing Rizwan case dies mysteriously - Feb 11, 2009
- Rizwanur case: Calcutta High Court rejects businessman Todis bail plea - Dec 17, 2008
- Mamata says Nandigram history being repeated in Netai village - Jan 09, 2011
- Rizwan case: Calcutta HC directs CBI to initiate fresh probe - May 18, 2010
- CPI-M demands release of its jailed Bengal ex-MP - Jun 05, 2012
- Put Ashok Todi to trial in Rizwanur case: Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Mar 01, 2011
- March 14 Nandigram police firing victims to get Rs 2 lakh compensation from State Govt - Nov 14, 2007
- Violence rocks Nandigram on poll day, two injured (Lead) - May 07, 2009
Tags: candlelight vigil, cbi inquiry, central bureau of investigation, central intervention, communist party of india, congress chief, congress workers, CPI, dozens injured, government of west bengal, landmine explosion, prime minister manmohan singh, trinamool congress, union home minister, violence