Canadian body to fund research by nine Indian think tanksJuly 20th, 2010 - 6:59 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, July 20 (ANI): Canada’s International Development Research Centre (IDRC), the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation have decided to give 13 million dollars to nine Indian think tanks.
These think tanks will use the funds to carry research and projects focussed on broad national, social, and economic policy issues.
In all, 16 institutions were selected from five countries - Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka.The 21 million dollars investment in South Asia is matched by 14 million dollars in Latin America and follows 30 million dollars in grants to 24 think tanks in East and West Africa in 2009. The nine Indian Institutions selected are: Centre for Study of Science, Technology and Policy in Bangalore, the Centre for Budget and Governance Accountability in Delhi, the Centre for Policy Research in New Delhi, the Centre for the Study of Developing Societies, the Indian Institute of Dalit Studies, New Delhi, the Institute of Economic Growth, Delhi, the Institute of Rural Management, Anand, Gujarat, the National Council of Applied Economic Research, New Delhi and the Public Affairs Centre in Bangalore.
Each of these institutions will receive long-term funding, enabling them to conduct research that is fundamental to the development of sound policy in India. (ANI)
- Indian MPs, US think tank discuss policy issues - Jul 06, 2012
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to focus on drugs, vaccine research - Mar 24, 2011
- 'India needs to step up vaccination to save its children' - Jun 11, 2011
- New policy to boost manufacturing share in GDP ready - Jun 03, 2011
- India, Australia to co-fund research projects - May 17, 2011
- India Inc. goes after $5-bn fake, smuggled goods threat - Nov 10, 2011
- Srinath Raghavan wins K. Subrahmanyam Award - Nov 11, 2011
- Ramesh for low-cost sanitation solutions - May 30, 2012
- IDSA invites nomination for Subrahmanyam award - Oct 12, 2011
- Kalam awards Infosys prizes to six noted scientists - Jan 09, 2012
- India slips in economic freedom: Report - Sep 22, 2011
- BRICS to explore setting up development bank - Mar 07, 2012
- Hyderabad foundation gets $100,000 grant for polio vaccine - May 10, 2012
- A new 'Gate-way' for India's Africa diplomacy - May 31, 2012
- Rajiv Bhatia is new DG of ICWA - Jun 29, 2012
Tags: 30 million, applied economic research, bill and melinda gates, bill and melinda gates foundation, dalit, economic policy issues, flora hewlett foundation, gujarat, idrc, indian institutions, institute of economic growth, institute of rural management anand, latin america, melinda gates foundation, New Delhi, public affairs centre, rural management anand, South Asia, west africa, william and flora hewlett foundation