Canada becomes 7th member of Asia Pacific PartnershipNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:22 am ICT by admin
Canada has shared the vision of the partners and also worked through bilateral and multilateral mechanism hence is most welcome in this fold, said Minister of State for Environment and Forests, Namo Narayan Meena, while making a formal announcement to this effect.
In his inaugural address at the meeting today, External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee welcomed Canada into the APP fold.
Mukherjee said that their request for membership underscores the credibility this partnership has attained.
The member countries congratulated Dr. R K Pachauri, who is heading the Inter- Governmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), which is the joint winner of the Nobel Peace Prize along with former US Vice President Al Gore.
The members felt that with this award the world’s awareness on Climate Change has reached its apex.
Australia, China, India, Japan, Republic of Korea, and the United States are the founding partners of the APP. The six partner countries represent about half of the world’s economy, population and energy use, and they produce about 65 percent of the world’s coal, 48 percent of the world’s steel, 37 percent of world’s aluminium, and 61 percent of the world’s cement. (ANI)
- Rising sea level greatest climate change threat: Pachauri - Sep 06, 2011
- Put on notice, India's Pachauri tasked with carrying out IPCC reform - Oct 20, 2010
- G-20 Summit Declaration - Jun 20, 2012
- US eases control on high tech exports to India - Nov 08, 2010
- IPCC dilutes stand linking cyclones to climate change - Nov 30, 2011
- Pachauri-led IPCC lauds initiative to build food security in face of climate change - May 07, 2010
- Highlights of Nov 8 India-US Joint Statement - Nov 09, 2010
- Pachauri concedes mistake, but in no mood to resign - Jan 23, 2010
- US backs India for UNSC permanent seat - with riders (Intro Roundup) - Nov 09, 2010
- Rajendra Pachauri must quit, says Britain's ex-minister - Sep 24, 2010
- PM backs Pachauri, expresses full confidence in IPCC process - Feb 05, 2010
- TERI to work with Seychelles on enhancing knowledge base - Jun 03, 2010
- US backs India for UN permanent seat, calls for 26/11 justice (Roundup) - Nov 08, 2010
- Government backing Pachauri to the hilt, says Jairam Ramesh - Feb 04, 2010
- IPCC chief Pachauri welcomes debate on climate science - Jun 16, 2010
Tags: apex australia, australia china, climate change, decision canada, energy use, external affairs minister, formal announcement, founding partners, half of the world, ipcc, meena, minister of state, multilateral mechanism, namo, nobel peace prize, partner countries, partnership, pranab mukherjee, preparatory session, us vice president