Campaigning for second phase of West Bengal polls ends todayApril 21st, 2011 - 1:56 pm ICT by ANI
Kolkata, Apr 21 (ANI): Leaders of various political outfits are wooing voters in West Bengal as campaigning for the second phase of elections comes to a close today.
A total of 293 candidates including 27 women are in the fray for this phase in which 50 of the total of 294 seats will be covered.
Altogether 9,333,523 voters including 4,478,887 women are eligible to exercise their franchise in this phase that will cover Murshidabad, Nadia and Birbhum districts.
The Commission has set up 11,532 polling stations.
The Bharatiya Janata Party has fielded the highest number of candidates, 50, followed by the CPI (M), 31, Trinamool Congress 29, Bahujan Samaj Party 27 and the Congress 21.
Meanwhile, Deputy Election Commissioner Vinod Zutshi held meetings with senior officials to take stock of the security preparedness for the second and third phase of West Bengal Assembly elections.
The Left Front has been in power in West Bengal for 34 years.
The state will have elections in six phases. The first phase took place on April 18.
The second phase will take place on April 23, the third phase on April 27, the fourth phase on May 3, the fifth phase on May 7 and the sixth phase on May 10. The total number of assembly constituencies in West Bengal is 294, of which 68 are reserved for Scheduled Castes and 16 for Scheduled Tribes. (ANI)
- Notification for second phase of West Bengal polls issued - Mar 30, 2011
- Polling underway for second phase of West Bengal elections - Apr 23, 2011
- Over 85 percent turnout in second phase of West Bengal assembly polls - Apr 23, 2011
- 53 percent polling in West Bengal till 2 p.m. - Apr 23, 2011
- W. Bengal polls: 16 per cent votes cast in first two hours - Apr 23, 2011
- EC assures safe, free voting in West Bengal - Apr 12, 2011
- Over 80 percent turnout in phase two of Bengal polls (Roundup) - Apr 23, 2011
- Over 85 percent turnout in Bengal's peaceful phase two polling (Intro Roundup) - Apr 23, 2011
- Two 'unsatisfactory' poll officials in Bengal replaced - Apr 22, 2011
- Long queues in round two of Bengal polls (Lead) - Apr 23, 2011
- Polling brisk and peaceful in Bengal (Fourth Lead) - Apr 23, 2011
- Election Commission to deploy police observers for West Bengal polls - Mar 28, 2011
- Two poll officials die in Bengal polls first phase - Apr 19, 2011
- Notification for fifth phase of West Bengal polls issued - Apr 11, 2011
- People vote in large numbers in West Bengal (Third Lead) - Apr 23, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,