Campaigning for fifth phase of Lok Sabha polls ends todayMay 11th, 2009 - 1:10 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 11 (ANI): Campaigning in eighty-six constituencies in six states and two Union Territories that will go to polls in the fifth phase of general elections on May 13 will come to an end this evening.
In this phase, polling will take place in West Bengal, Tamil Nadu, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Chandigarh and Puducherry.
Some of the major candidates in the fray are Congress’s P. Chidambaram and Mohd. Azharuddin, BJP’s Maneka Gandhi, Varun Gandhi, Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi and Vinod Khanna, DMK’s M K Azhagiri, Dayanidhi Maran, T R Baalu and A Raja, MDMK’s Vaiko, Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee and SP’s Jayaprada.
The others contestants in the fray are Mani Shankar Aiyar, Navjot Singh Sidhu, Sajjad Gani Lone, and Tamil actor M Karthik.Elections will be held to four seats in Himachal Pradesh, two in Jammu and Kashmir, nine in Punjab, 39 in Tamil Nadu, 14 in Uttar Pradesh, 11 in West Bengal, five in Uttarakhand, the lone one seat each in Chandigarh and Puducherry.
Uttar Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir are the only states to go to polls in all the five phases.
So far, elections have been completed to 457 seats since the exercise began on April 16.
On May 7, the fourth phase of the Lok Sabha elections held for 85 constituencies spread across seven States had witnessed 57 per cent voting of the total 9.46 crore eligible votes.
The first, second and third phases of polling were held on April 16, 23 and 30 respectively.
The counting of votes will take place on May 16. The 543-member House will be constituted before June 2. (ANI)
- Campaigning for fifth phase of Lok Sabha polls comes to end - May 11, 2009
- Stage set for fifth phase of Lok Sabha elections - May 12, 2009
- Polling for fifth phase of Lok Sabha elections begins - May 13, 2009
- Filing of nominations for final phase of Lok Sabha elections ends today - Apr 24, 2009
- Voting begins for final phase of Lok Sabha polls (Lead) - May 13, 2009
- Five states to go to polls January-March (Second Lead) - Dec 24, 2011
- Fifth phase witnesses approximately 62 percent polling - May 13, 2009
- President issues notification for fifth phase of elections - Apr 17, 2009
- Fifth phase of polling to elect 86 Members of Parliament - May 13, 2009
- Polls conclude with about 355 million registered voters exercising their franchise - May 13, 2009
- Polls to five assemblies begins with Assam (Lead) - Apr 04, 2011
- Tamil Nadu take on Uttarakhand in opening match of national hockey - Jun 04, 2011
- Bye-polls for 27 seats in eight states on June 12 - Apr 24, 2012
- Five states to pick new assemblies in January-March (Roundup) - Dec 24, 2011
- Election 2011 begins with Assam, proceeds peacefully (Second Lead) - Apr 04, 2011
Tags: azharuddin, dayanidhi maran, fifth phase, fourth phase, general elections, himachal pradesh, jammu and kashmir, lok sabha elections, lok sabha polls, mamata banerjee, maneka gandhi, mani shankar aiyar, navjot singh sidhu, p chidambaram, tamil nadu, trinamool congress chief, uttarakhand, varun gandhi, vinod khanna, west bengal