Campaigning for fifth phase of Lok Sabha polls comes to endMay 11th, 2009 - 9:30 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 11 (ANI): Campaigning in 86 constituencies in six States and two Union Territories that are scheduled to undergo polls in the fifth phase of general elections on Wednesday (May 13) concluded on Monday evening.
The fifth and last phase of the Lok Sabh elections will witness polling taking place in West Bengal, Tamil Nadu, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh States and Chandigarh and Puducherry, the two Union Territories.
The prominent contestants in the fray are Congress’s P. Chidambaram and Mohd. Azharuddin, BJP’s Maneka Gandhi, Varun Gandhi, Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi and Vinod Khanna, DMK’s M K Azhagiri, Dayanidhi Maran, T R Baalu and A Raja, MDMK’s Vaiko, Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee and Samajwadi Party’s Jayaprada.
The other important contestants in the fray are Mani Shankar Aiyar, Navjot Singh Sidhu, Sajjad Gani Lone, and Tamil actor M Karthik.Elections will be held to four seats in Himachal Pradesh, two in Jammu and Kashmir, nine in Punjab, 39 in Tamil Nadu, 14 in Uttar Pradesh, 11 in West Bengal, five in Uttarakhand, the lone one seat each in Chandigarh and Puducherry.
Uttar Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir are the only states to have undergone polls in all the five phases.
So far, elections have been completed to 457 seats since the exercise began on April 16.
On May 7, the fourth phase of the Lok Sabha elections held for 85 constituencies spread across seven States had witnessed 57 per cent voting of the total 9.46 crore eligible votes.
The first, second and third phases of polling were held on April 16, 23 and 30 respectively.
The counting of votes will take place on May 16. The 543-member House will be constituted before June 2. (ANI)
- Campaigning for fifth phase of Lok Sabha polls ends today - May 11, 2009
- Stage set for fifth phase of Lok Sabha elections - May 12, 2009
- Voting begins for final phase of Lok Sabha polls (Lead) - May 13, 2009
- Polling for fifth phase of Lok Sabha elections begins - May 13, 2009
- Five states to go to polls January-March (Second Lead) - Dec 24, 2011
- Filing of nominations for final phase of Lok Sabha elections ends today - Apr 24, 2009
- Fifth phase witnesses approximately 62 percent polling - May 13, 2009
- President issues notification for fifth phase of elections - Apr 17, 2009
- Polls conclude with about 355 million registered voters exercising their franchise - May 13, 2009
- Tamil Nadu take on Uttarakhand in opening match of national hockey - Jun 04, 2011
- Indian states and their ruling parties - May 13, 2011
- Five states to pick new assemblies in January-March (Roundup) - Dec 24, 2011
- Fifth phase of polling to elect 86 Members of Parliament - May 13, 2009
- Presidential election: Break-up of votes polled - Jul 22, 2012
- Rajasthan, Andhra win twice in junior basketball - May 24, 2012
Tags: azharuddin, dayanidhi maran, fifth phase, fourth phase, general elections, himachal pradesh, jammu and kashmir, lok sabha elections, lok sabha polls, mamata banerjee, maneka gandhi, mani shankar aiyar, navjot singh sidhu, p chidambaram, sabh, trinamool congress chief, uttarakhand, varun gandhi, vinod khanna, west bengal