Campaign to save Banyan tree near LucknowNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:51 am ICT by admin
The tree has spread over 3.6 hectares (nine Bighas), which would have been used for mango cultivation. In Itoonja, 40 kilometres from Lucknow, about 70 per cent of the village land is under mango cultivation.
“This tree is at least 150 years old. I have watched the tree for past six years and it is growing beyond imagination. I have never heard of a Banyan tree growing this big,” said Lakshmi Devi, a housewife who worships the tree.
The banyan tree has spread like a canopy over mango trees. But despite the orchards’ growth and mangos’ quality being affected by the gigantic banyan tree, the god-fearing villagers are not willing to cut tree shoots.
The villagers are in a dilemma. Itoonja Village is known State-wide for its delicious Dusseheri mangoes.
“Years ago a saint Baba Haribansh used to live in this jungle. This tree did not exist then. Later, when the saint died, this banyan tree sprouted up over his tomb and started growing bigger and bigger. Today, this tree is spread over many fields.
There are many stories ciculating about the mysterious powers of the tree. “Whoever tries to cut its branches or harm this tree, faces misfortune. Our village Head Bhola tried to cut the tree’s branches that were spreading over his field. But he died within a few days. Recently a drunkard who insulted the tree met with a similar fate,” said Ram Singh, a villager. (ANI)
- Assam township upbeat over 200 years of banyan tree - Jun 02, 2012
- Coca-Cola, Jain Irrigation to showcase modern mango farming in Andhra - Jul 24, 2012
- Sanjan's 'walking' mango tree 'travels' through time (With Images) - Jun 13, 2011
- Mango madness: Bhopal fetes king of fruit - Jun 30, 2011
- Proposed road endangers Uttar Pradesh mango belt - Sep 26, 2010
- Of mangoes, chaat and chit-chat at minister's dawat - Jul 14, 2012
- Spiritual group plants 35 lakh trees - May 18, 2012
- Royal treat for mango lovers at Delhi fest - Jul 02, 2011
- Patna airport told to cut trees for safety - May 28, 2012
- Himachal promoting herb culture: Dhumal - Feb 04, 2012
- Guava cultivation in mango belt - Jun 23, 2009
- 4,000 trees in Patna zoo face the axe for airport safety (Lead) - Aug 27, 2010
- Large aircraft allowed from Patna till Aug 31 - Aug 12, 2012
- AMUL plants 10 million trees in Gujarat under Amul Green Campaign on Independence Day - Aug 16, 2010
- Students campaign against cutting of trees in Patna zoo - Aug 28, 2010