Cabinet reshuffle expected in next 24 hoursJanuary 18th, 2011 - 5:34 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Jan.18 (ANI): A reshuffle of the Union Cabinet is expected in the next 24 hours, according to informed sources.
The Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, met Congress president Sonia Gandhi this morning and is expected to meet her for a second time today to finalise the list of people likely to be included in the Union Cabinet.
Indications are that changes in the government are likely to be restricted to filling up of three Cabinet berths besides minor reshuffle in four-five ministries.
Two of the vacancies were caused by the controversial exits of A Raja and Shashi Tharoor while the third was caused due to the coronation of Prithviraj Chavan as Maharashtra Chief Minister.
Dr. Singh met President Pratibha Devisingh Patil on Monday evening.
Congress President Sonia Gandhi has already held two rounds of consultations with Dr. Singh over the issue.
The reshuffle could see some Cabinet ministers going to the Congress to oversee party work, while others may see their portfolios change.
While the telecom portfolio is expected to remain with Congress in view of DMK’s handling of the charge pushing the government towards a virtual crisis, it is not clear that Kapil Sibal would be divested of any portfolio. He has charge of HRD, telecom and science and technology.
Minister of State for Commerce and Industry Jyotiraditya Scindia is tipped to be the Minister of State for External Affairs. The post was left vacant after Shashi Tharoor resigned in the wake of the Indian Premier League (IPL) controversy.
Sharad Pawar, who currently holds three portfolios, could be divested of Food and Public Distribution. (ANI)
- Manmohan Singh discusses Cabinet reshuffle with Sonia Gandhi - Jan 18, 2011
- Manmohan Singh meets President Patil, cabinet reshuffle speculated - Jan 17, 2011
- Manmohan Singh to meet President Patil, may discuss cabinet reshuffle - Jan 17, 2011
- Cabinet reshuffle likely after January 14 - Jan 11, 2011
- Cabinet reshuffle today, major changes in portfolios expected - Jan 19, 2011
- PM meets Sonia, cabinet reshuffle likely next week (Second Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- Manmohan meets president, fuels reshuffle speculation - Jan 17, 2011
- Manmohan meets president amid cabinet reshuffle reports (Lead) - Jan 17, 2011
- Speculation on cabinet reshuffle intensifies - Jun 27, 2011
- PM meets Sonia, cabinet reshuffle buzz grows louder (Lead) - Jan 18, 2011
- Manmohan Singh hosts private dinner for visiting Chinese Premier - Dec 15, 2010
- Sonia meets PM over cabinet reshuffle (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Cabinet reshuffle Wednesday, new faces likely (Lead) - Jan 18, 2011
- Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao arrives in Delhi - Dec 15, 2010
- Cabinet reshuffle could take place soon - Sep 20, 2012
Tags: berths, cabinet ministers, cabinet reshuffle, chavan, congress president sonia gandhi, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, external affairs, jyotiraditya scindia, kapil sibal, manmohan, manmohan singh, minister of state, minor reshuffle, pratibha devisingh patil, public distribution, sharad pawar, technology minister, tharoor, union cabinet