Cabinet gives nod to set up six AIIMS-like institutionsMarch 19th, 2010 - 7:08 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 19 (ANI): The Union Cabinet on Friday approved the revised cost estimates (RCE) for setting up of six new All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) like institutions in different parts of the country.
The cabinet approved cost estimates also includes upgradation of 13 existing Government Medical Colleges under The Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY) -Phase I for an outlay of Rs.9307.62 crore.
The allocation made for the PMSSY-Phase I projects for the XI Plan was Rs.3955 crore, additional expenditure involved would be Rs.5535.62 crore.
The PMSSY was initially started in March, 2006 with the object of correcting regional imbalances in the availability of affordable and reliable tertiary healthcare services and also to augment facilities for quality medical education in the country.
The PMSSY has two components in its first phase –setting up of six AIIMS-like institutions and upgradation of thirteen existing Government medical college institutions.
The Cabinet Committee of Economic affairs (CCE) approved the proposal for setting up AIIMS-like institutions in March 2006 and upgrdation proposal in June 2006.
However, the allocation of XI Plan is sufficient to meet the expenditure in the remaining two years of the plan period.
The new institutions and upgraded facilities in the existing medical colleges would provide tertiary health care facilities in and around the location and adjoining districts and States in the country.
The projects under Phase-I of PMSSY are spread over 19 locations in the 16 States of the country.
The new AIIMS-like institutions are located at Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Jodhpur, Patna, Raipur and Rishikesh.
The AIIMS-like institutions will be completed by the end of 2012.
The upgradation components in Phase-I involves upgradation of Government Medical Colleges at Trivandrum, Salem, Bangalore, Kolkata, Jammu and Srinagar; NIMS, Hyderabad; SGPGIMS, Lucknow; B.J. Medical College, Ahmedabad; RIMS, Ranchi; IMS, BHU, Varanasi; SVIMS, Tirupati; and Grants Medical College, Mumbai. (ANI)
- Separate societies for six AIIMS-like institutions to be set up under PMSSY - Aug 26, 2010
- Rs.93 bn more for setting up six AIIMS-like institutions - Mar 19, 2010
- Six AIIMS-like institutions to be registered as societies - Aug 09, 2010
- Cabinet clears societies to run six AIIMS-like institutions - Aug 09, 2010
- Government adopts multi-pronged approach to correct uneven progress in health indicators - Feb 25, 2010
- Cabinet approves setting up two AIIMS-like institutions - Feb 05, 2009
- Lok Sabha passes bill for AIIMS-like institutes - Aug 30, 2012
- With Rs.1,100 crore, AIIMS bags highest budget share - Mar 16, 2012
- Work on AIIMS-like institution to begin in Chhattisgarh - Nov 04, 2009
- Rajya Sabha passes bill for AIIMS-like institutes - Sep 04, 2012
- AIIMS-Patna to start this year, says Ghulam Nabi Azad - May 24, 2012
- Better health services for poor envisaged (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal to get AIIMS-like institutes: Azad - Jul 10, 2009
- Land identified for AIIMS-like institute in Sonia's constituency - May 08, 2012
- Haryana gives 300 acres land for AIIMS-like institute - Dec 30, 2010
Tags: aiims, all india institute of medical sciences, bhubaneswar, cabinet committee, economic affairs, government medical college, health care facilities, healthcare services, india institute, jammu, lucknow, medical colleges, nims, outlay, plan period, raipur, regional imbalances, srinagar, tertiary health care, union cabinet