Cabinet expansion scheduled for ThursdayMay 26th, 2009 - 10:22 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 26 (ANI): Union Council of Ministers will be expanded on Thursday, with swearing-in ceremony of the second lot of ministers to be held at 11.30 a.m. at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
UPA Chairperson and Congress President Sonia Gandhi today met Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh for a second round of discussions on expansion of the Council of Ministers.
She was accompanied by her political advisor Ahmed Patel. Earlier in the day, Gandhi chaired a meeting of the Congress core group, which was attended by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, Defence Minister A K Antony and Ahmed Patel.
Yesterday, the Prime Minister and Sonia Gandhi had a marathon four-hour meeting to discuss the expansion.
As reported the DMK has already announced its decision to join the Government. The expansion is expected to have Ministers from the DMK, Jammu and Kashmir National Conference and other allies of the Congress.
According to sources, Trinamool Congress and Sharad Pawar’s NCP are the two allies putting pressure on the UPA over the issue of Cabinet berths.
Besides, the Congress is undecided on allocating portfolios to some of its own leaders like Kamal Nath, Kapil Sibal and H R Bhardwaj.
In the first round of swearing-in on Friday, only 19 ministers were inducted along with the Prime Minister. Portfolios have been allocated to only six ministers.
The induction was a truncated affair as DMK, a key constituent of the UPA, was unhappy over the number of ministerial berths being offered by the Congress and threatened to support the government from outside. (ANI)
- Swearing in of Maharashtra ministers postponed to Friday - Nov 18, 2010
- Three ministers inducted in Andhra cabinet (Lead) - Feb 06, 2012
- Manmohan Singh discusses Cabinet reshuffle with Sonia Gandhi - Jan 18, 2011
- Two berths vacant for DMK, says PM - Jul 12, 2011
- Sonia meets Manmohan Singh, discusses DMK stalemate - May 22, 2009
- PM assures Mamata all help but can't attend swearing in (Lead) - May 16, 2011
- PM to think of government reshuffle soon - May 31, 2011
- Cabinet reshuffle Wednesday, new faces likely (Lead) - Jan 18, 2011
- Supporters celebrate Indian Cabinet expansion, as ministers take oath - May 29, 2009
- Mamata's demand puts off cabinet expansion by a day - May 26, 2009
- PM accepts Kamat's resignation - Jul 13, 2011
- Manmohan shuffles ministers but pack of cards is old - Jan 19, 2011
- UPA allies unhappy with Congress: BJP - Jul 20, 2012
- Gurudas Kamat quits central ministry citing 'personal' reasons (Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- Last reshuffle before 2014 polls, balance maintained: PM (Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
Tags: antony, bhardwaj, cabinet expansion, congress president sonia gandhi, core group, council of ministers, defence minister, dmk, dr manmohan singh, finance minister, jammu, kamal nath, kapil sibal, manmohan, manmohan singh, ministerial berths, ncp, pranab mukherjee, sharad pawar, swearing in ceremony