Cabinet defers decision on MPs’ salary revisionAugust 16th, 2010 - 2:13 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug 16 (ANI): The Union Cabinet on Monday deferred its decision on a three-fold revision of salaries of Members of Parliament.
The proposal, pending since May 2006, is to hike MPs’ salaries from s 16,000 to Rs 50,000.
The bill also proposed a hike in Dearness Allowance (DA) from from Rs 1,000 to Rs 2,000.
MPs currently get Rs 16,000 per month as salary while a secretary to the government gets Rs 80,000 a month.
The Joint Parliamentary Committee on Salaries, Allowances and Pensions, headed by Congress MP Charan Das Mahant, had proposed salary of Rs 80,001, arguing that an MP’s salary should be at least a rupee more than that of an officer of the rank of Secretary (Rs 80,000), whom an MP outranks in the list of protocol.
The recommendation to hike the salary was made taking into account consumer price index and the wage index for skilled urban labour.
Apart from the base salary, an MP gets a daily allowance of Rs 1,000 for each day when Parliament is in session or a sitting of a House committee is scheduled.
A member is entitled for constituency allowance of Rs 20,000 per month and office expense allowance of another Rs 20,000 per month.
Every MP can avail 34 single air journeys during a year with spouse or any number of companions or relatives.
The last hike in salaries and allowances of 795 MPs — 545 members of Lok Sabha and 250 members of Rajya Sabha — came into effect about 10 years ago. (ANI)
- Mukherjee meets Lalu, Mulayam to end deadlock over MPs salary hike - Aug 21, 2010
- Cabinet to decide pay hike for MPs - Aug 16, 2010
- Cabinet clears salary hike of MPs - Aug 20, 2010
- Parliament adjourns following uproar over MPs' 'poor' salary hike - Aug 20, 2010
- Lalu to protest Cabinet deferment of MPs pay hike in Parliament - Aug 17, 2010
- Cabinet approves extra salary hike for Members of Parliament - Aug 23, 2010
- Cabinet to discuss MPs salary enhancement - Aug 23, 2010
- Cabinet hikes MPs' perks, salary raise unaltered (Lead) - Aug 23, 2010
- Cabinet defers bill to hike salary of MPs (Lead) - Aug 16, 2010
- MPs get Rs.10,000 more, but further salary hike rejected (Third Lead) - Aug 23, 2010
- Lok Sabha clears MPs salary hike Bill - Aug 27, 2010
- MPs salary hiked, but they are unhappy (Lead) - Aug 20, 2010
- Cabinet bows to MPs' demand, hikes allowances (Third lead) - Aug 23, 2010
- MPs' salary hike bill in Lok Sabha - Aug 25, 2010
- Cabinet to reconsider MPs' salary hike bill - Aug 23, 2010
Tags: base salary, charan, constituency, consumer price index, daily allowance, expense allowance, house committee, Lok Sabha, mahant, members of parliament, office expense, parliamentary committee, rajya sabha, rs 1, rs 2, rs 50, rupee, union cabinet, urban labour, wage index