Cabinet clears setting up of Legislative Council in Tamil NaduMay 4th, 2010 - 10:05 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 4 (ANI): The Cabinet on Tuesday approved setting up of the Tamil Nadu Legislative Council, a long-pending demand of the ruling Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam State government.
Revival of the Upper House was one of the poll promises of the DMK. Its allies Congress and Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi supported the resolution with PMK also backing it.
Assembly elections in Tamil Nadu are due by early next year and the ruling DMK had already secured the Assembly’s approval to a resolution for reviving the Council after 24 years.
In 1986, the Council was abolished by the M. G. Ramachandran-led All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) government.
Jayalalithaa-led AIADMK and Left parties had opposed revival of the legislative council.
The Tamil Nadu Legislative Council Bill, 2010, was among the seven Bills listed for consideration and passing by the government in its agenda in the last week of the Budget session of Parliament. (ANI)
- Filing of nomination for TN, Puducherry and Kerala to end today - Mar 26, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi to address election rally in Puducherry - Apr 05, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi to visit poll-bound Tamil Nadu, Puducherry - Apr 04, 2011
- Tamil Nadu shelves revival of upper house - Jun 07, 2011
- Seat sharing talks between DMK, Congress cancelled - Mar 03, 2011
- DMK pulls out of UPA government, to provide issue-based support - Mar 05, 2011
- AIADMK wins Pudukottai by-election in Tamil Nadu - Jun 15, 2012
- Tamil Nadu shelves revival of upper house (Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- Presidential poll voting ends in Puducherry, still on in Tamil Nadu - Jul 19, 2012
- Textile Minister Dayanidhi Maran lauds Karunanidhi during poll campaign - Apr 09, 2011
- Tamil Nadu polls: Allies urge Vaiko to reconsider boycott - Mar 21, 2011
- Vaiko slams Congress for links with DMK despite corruption charges. - Feb 24, 2011
- PMK to be part of the DMK-Congress alliance in Tamil Nadu: - Jan 30, 2011
- PMK to join DMK-Congress combine for Tamil Nadu polls - Jan 30, 2011
- Baalu likely to meet PM as Cong-DMK standoff over seat sharing continues - Mar 05, 2011
Tags: 24 years, aiadmk, allies, assembly elections, budget session, congress, dravida munnetra kazhagam, elections in tamil nadu, jayalalithaa, left parties, legislative council bill, m g ramachandran, New Delhi, parliament, pmk, poll, revival, state government, upper house, viduthalai