Cabinet approves presentation of Nalanda University Bill in ParliamentJuly 8th, 2010 - 5:52 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, July 8 (ANI): The Union Cabinet on Thursday gave its approval for the presentation of the Nalanda University Bill 2010 in the Monsoon Session of Parliament likely to start on July 26.
The university will be set up in the vicinity of the ancient Nalanda University in Bihar at an approximate cost of Rs 1005 crore.
The Ministry of External Affairs has prepared the Bill following a consensus reached at the East Asia Summit held in Thailand in October 2009.
The proposed university will have schools like Buddhist studies, philosophy and comparative literature, historical studies and ecology and environmental studies among others.
According to the Bill, the university shall function as a public-private partnership and funds shall be provided by the Government of the member states.
The Nalanda Mentor Group (NMG) constituted by the Government of India in June 2007 shall exercise powers as the Interim Governing Board of the University for a period of one year or till such time that the members of the Governing Board have been nominated.
The visitor of the university shall be the President of India or any other person who may be appointed by the President.
The university shall function as a public-private partnership and the funds shall be provided on voluntary basis by the Government of Member States. (ANI)
- Singapore Foreign Minister Yeo calls on S.M. Krishna in New Delhi - Aug 03, 2010
- Cabinet nod for bill to revive Nalanda University - Jul 08, 2010
- Singapore Foreign Minister attends Nalanda panel meet - Aug 03, 2010
- Singapore Buddhist groups to help finance Nalanda university - Aug 03, 2010
- Bihar CM announces tax sops on food items - Jul 10, 2010
- Rajya Sabha passes bill to rebuild Nalanda University (Lead) - Aug 21, 2010
- Global competition for Nalanda university design - Jul 07, 2011
- Kalam dissociates himself from Nalanda university - Sep 15, 2011
- International funding sought for Nalanda University: Amartya Sen (Lead) - Aug 03, 2010
- Amartya blames 'bureaucratic control' for delay in Nalanda varsity - Oct 08, 2011
- Amartya Sen in Bihar for Nalanda meeting - Jul 18, 2012
- Global design competition for Nalanda university - Feb 21, 2011
- East Asia summit welcomes revival of Nalanda University - Oct 25, 2009
- Lok Sabha nod to Nalanda university - Aug 26, 2010
- Nalanda Mentor Group holds meet in Patna - Jul 06, 2011
Tags: bihar, buddhist studies, comparative literature, consensus, east asia summit, ecology, governing board, government of india, mentor group, ministry of external affairs, monsoon session, nalanda university, New Delhi, parliament, philosophy, president of india, public private partnership, union cabinet, vicinity, voluntary basis