Cabinet approves out-of-court settlement with Pak, Nizam heirsApril 11th, 2008 - 5:02 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Apr 11 (ANI): The Union Cabinet today gave its approval to pursue an out-of-court settlement with Pakistan and the heirs of the Nizam on the matter of funds lying with the Nat West Bank.
The cabinet also gave its approval to the negotiating strategy.
This will release funds lying locked up with a British Bank for the last 60 years. The negotiations will be conducted over a period of 18 months.
The origin of the ‘Hyderabad Funds Case’ goes back to the transfer on September 20, 1948 of an amount of over one million pounds sterling maintained in the name of the Nizam of Hyderabad’s Government in National Westminister Bank, London into an account in the name of Habib Ibrahim Rahimtoola, the then High Commissioner for Pakistan in London.
The transfer was on the instructions of the Nizam’s Finance Minister, but without the consent of the Nizam’s Government.
These instructions were irregular inasmuch as the Finance Minister of the Nizam’s Government had no power to withdraw this money without the express sanction of the Nizam or the State Government.
The Nizam’s subsequent instructions to retransfer the funds were not complied with.
This was followed by correspondence between the Nizam of Hyderabad and the Bank and subsequent arbitration in the British Courts going up to the House of Lords.
The House of Lords held that the legal title to the money vested in the Government of Pakistan though the latter was not asserting a beneficiary title to the money. (ANI)
- Nizam's heirs seek Pakistani intervention to unfreeze bank account (With Image) - Jul 20, 2012
- India for out-of-court settlement on Nizam's funds - Apr 11, 2008
- India's decision over Nizam's wealth comes under flak - Apr 12, 2008
- Fai's Kashmir lobby was front for Pakistani intelligence: US - Mar 31, 2012
- RPP Infra bags Rs.1,500 crore housing project in Africa - Aug 29, 2011
- World Bank approves 125-mn-dollar support for Pakistan flood victims - Mar 31, 2011
- Meghalaya sets up panel to re-acquire defence land - Mar 16, 2012
- Nizam's family to protest over Rs 9 cr tax demand - Mar 10, 2012
- Pakistan to sell 200,000 tonnes of wheat - Apr 12, 2011
- Spanish government takes controlling stake in ailing bank - May 10, 2012
- Apex court issues notice on Bhopal victims' fund - Sep 12, 2011
- Rs.1,360 crore unclaimed money lying with banks: Mukherjee - Dec 03, 2010
- Bangladesh to fund Padma bridge project - Jul 09, 2012
- Fai took millions from ISI to do their bidding in US - Dec 08, 2011
- ISI agent Fai pleads guilty in US lobbying case - Dec 08, 2011
Tags: arbitration, bank london, beneficiary, british courts, court settlement, finance minister, government of pakistan, habib, heirs, high commissioner, house of lords, nat west bank, national westminister bank, negotiating strategy, nizam of hyderabad, pounds sterling, sanction, union cabinet, west bank, westminister