Bush’’s drugs tzar blasts actors, models for glamorising cocaine useSeptember 12th, 2008 - 5:09 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 12 (ANI): Cocaine use is being glamorized by models and actors, according to George W Bush’’s drugs tsar, who warns that the effect is encouraging young middle class professionals to start using the addictive drug.
While on a visit to London, Walters said that impressionable young professionals in their 20s were being sucked into drug addiction because celebrities were using them and not coming to any harm.
“I am surprised by cocaine use here. We found out the hard way how addictive it is, Telegraph quoted Walters, who has Director of National Drug Control Policy at the White House since 2001, as saying.
“I am surprised that cocaine is still seen by well educated and well informed people as something to be toyed with.
“It is favoured by young people who see it being used by fashion models and actors. People follow the actresses and models and then they do it too.
“Young people are feeling invincible and that they are fine doing it. But it is like Russian roulette. There is a live round in the chamber and it will take your brain, he added.
Americans had “found out the hard way” in the 1980s how addictive and dangerous cocaine could be, he said, describing the drug as a “nightmare poison”.
He said that snorting cocaine was not “risk free drug use”.
He added: “This is a disease of the brain.” (ANI)
- Internet addiction is like drugs: Study - Jan 12, 2012
- Alcohol can help brain to learn, remember better - Apr 13, 2011
- Quaid's addiction almost cost him everything in life - Apr 13, 2011
- Brits think using cocaine in middle-class dinner party is safe - Apr 13, 2011
- Cocaine was part of movie budgets, says Dennis Quaid - Apr 12, 2011
- Certain genetic makeup reduces the brain's neurons in drug addicts - Mar 08, 2011
- Ice cream as 'addictive as cocaine' - Mar 05, 2012
- Chemical system in brain that behaves differently in cocaine addicts identified - Aug 11, 2010
- Party drug meow meow killing young Britons - Oct 27, 2011
- Smoking okay on reel, not in real: B-Town (May 31 is World No Tobacco Day) - May 30, 2012
- Looking at a pic of a loved one 'cuts pain by 44pc' - Feb 25, 2011
- Whitney Houston is sending her daughter Bobbi Kristina Brown to rehab - Mar 17, 2011
- Kate Moss sizzles in new raunchy ad for Dior Addict lipstick - Mar 18, 2011
- Why cocaine is so addictive - Oct 19, 2010
- Cocaine-addicted people show heightened response to drug-related images - Apr 05, 2011
Tags: 1980s, actors, actresses, addictive drug, blasts, celebrities, class professionals, cocaine use, drug addiction, drug use, drugs tsar, fashion models, george w bush, middle class, nightmare, poison, russian roulette, telegraph, white house, young professionals