Burney presses new Pak Govt to release Sarabjit SinghMarch 24th, 2008 - 9:39 pm ICT by admin
Islamabad, Mar 24 (ANI): Pakistan caretaker Governments Human Rights Minister Ansar Burney on Monday urged the new incoming government to consider converting Sarabjit Singhs death sentence into life imprisonment on “humanitarian grounds”.
Burney also requested the incoming Government and Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gillani to convert Sarabjit’s death sentence into life imprisonment as he had “spent more than a life sentence on death row in Pakistani jails”, which was “worse than hell”.
President Pervez Musharraf had rejected his appeal for clemency on March 3. Sarabjit Singh’s execution has been deferred by a month, with the new date of execution set at April 30 this year after an appeal for clemency from the Indian Government and his family.
Sarabjit has been on death row since Pakistan’s Supreme Court rejected his petition for mercy in March 2006. He has been accused of having played a major role in serial blasts across Pakistan, which claimed at least 14 lives in 1991.
He has been languishing in a Pakistani jail for 17 years.
Burney said we are hopeful that the new Government would continue improving the human rights situation in Pakistan as necessary reforms had already been initiated at various levels.
“I would also like to request for jail reforms and the stopping of human trafficking and slavery,” he said.
He also suggested that prisoners who have spent over 10 years in jails should be pardoned and their death sentences converted into life imprisonment as prisoners cannot be given two sentences for the same crime. (ANI)
- Pakistan to release Sarabjit Singh soon, says lawyer - Sep 07, 2012
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- India renews request for Sarabjit's release, awaits clear picture (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Chisti may meet Sarabjit in Pakistan - May 11, 2012
- Free Sarabjit, Krishna 'requests' Pakistan - Jun 27, 2012
- India calls for Sarabjit's release, upset at Pakistan's U-turn (Roundup) - Jun 27, 2012
- Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit Singh, to be released: Pakistan - Jun 27, 2012
- Indian 'martyr' alive in Pakistan, family hopes for return - Apr 30, 2011
- Pakistan does volte-face, says Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit, to be released (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family on indefinite fast; meets Krishna (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- Krishna assures Sarabjit's family he will take up issue - Aug 17, 2012
- Ansar Burney to file fresh mercy petition for Sarabjit - Jun 24, 2009
- Pakistan frees 311 Indian prisoners - Jun 27, 2012
Tags: ansar burney, clemency, death sentence, death sentences, human rights minister, human rights situation, human trafficking, humanitarian grounds, incoming government, indian government, jail reforms, jails, life imprisonment, life sentence, necessary reforms, new date, pervez musharraf, president pervez musharraf, situation in pakistan, worse than hell