Burleigh assumes charge as new U.S. Charge d’ Affaires in IndiaApril 6th, 2009 - 2:43 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Apr.6 (ANI): Ambassador A. Peter Burleigh today assumed duties as the Charge d’Affaires of the U.S. Mission in India.
Ambassador Burleigh’s interim appointment by Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton reflects the U.S. Government’s emphasis on assuring highest-level representation and continuity in U.S. Indian relations.
Ambassador Burleigh’s substantial diplomatic experience and many years in South Asia will provide leadership of the U.S.Mission in India and continue to nurture the important bilateral relationship until a permanent Ambassador is named in the months ahead, a US embassy release said.
Ambassador Burleigh is a distinguished career U.S. Foreign Service officer who served as Ambassador and Deputy Representative of the United States to the United Nations before he retired after 33 years of service in August 2000. Prior to his U.N. post, he served as the U.S. Ambassador to Sri Lanka and the Republic of Maldives (1995-1997).
Ambassador Burleigh held a number of senior positions at the State Department and served in United States embassies in Nepal, Bahrain, and India, as well as Sri Lanka.
Ambassador Burleigh received his undergraduate degree from Colgate University, served in the Peace Corps (1963-1965) in Nepal, doing community development work in the far west of that country, and spent a year on a Fulbright scholarship in Nepal. Ambassador Burleigh speaks Bengali, Hindi, Nepali, and Sinhalese. Since January, 2004, he has been living in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and serving as a Distinguished Visiting Professor at the University of Miami. (ANI)
- South Asia hand Burleigh takes charge of US mission - Jul 01, 2011
- Burleigh interim US ambassador to India - Jun 30, 2011
- New US mission head takes charge - Apr 06, 2009
- Acting US envoy takes part in Delhi polio drops campaign - May 24, 2009
- Libyan embassy in Washington re-opens under rebel government - Aug 12, 2011
- US for growing trade with India in food products - Mar 13, 2012
- India-US education ties set for major expansion - Nov 17, 2010
- New US ambassador takes office in Myanmar - Jul 11, 2012
- Iran summons Swiss diplomat over US assassination charge - Oct 12, 2011
- No change in Hillary Clinton's India visit: US envoy - Jul 14, 2011
- Roemer congratulates India on World Cup win - Apr 03, 2011
- Blake to head US delegation at SAARC - Nov 08, 2011
- 'US shoulder-to-shoulder with India against terror' - Sep 07, 2011
- US Fulbright-mtvU fellow to study LGBT music in India - Aug 14, 2012
- US under secretary praises Nitish Kumar for 'positive change' in Bihar - Apr 03, 2012
Tags: 33 years, bengali, bilateral relationship, colgate university, deputy representative, diplomatic experience, foreign service officer, fulbright scholarship, hillary rodham clinton, interim appointment, lauderdale florida, level representation, nepali, peace corps, sinhalese, South Asia, united states embassies, university of miami, us embassy, visiting professor