Burger Kings Whopper Virgins taste challenge incurs campaigners wrathDecember 4th, 2008 - 5:01 pm ICT by ANI
London, December 4 (ANI): Burger King has incurred the wrath of campaigners with its new advertising campaign that experiments on burger virgins the poverty-stricken villagers from globally remote parts.
The food giant came up with a new promotion scheme of comparing its signature Whopper burger against McDonalds Big Mac to see which won the taste test challenge.
The endorsement explained, how it sought out farmers in rural Romania, Thai villagers and residents of Greenland’’s icy tundra for a real opinion.
“If you want a real opinion about a burger, ask someone who doesn”t even have a word for burger,” the Telegraph quoted whoppervirgins.com, the website promoting the campaign as saying.
This has raged various critics, who have dubbed the entire researchas insulting and exploitative.
Marilyn Borchardt, development director for Food First told the New York Daily News that the ad was not only insensitive but even failed to acknowledge that there’’s even hunger in any of these places.
The Inquisitor blog also said: “If visiting poor people in remote locations, some who would be at best surviving on below poverty levels and throwing a burger in their faces isn”t bad enough, it gets better, because they also ask the Whopper Virgins to compare the taste of the Whopper to a McDonalds Big Mac as well. (ANI)
- Man eats 25,000 burgers, says more to come! - May 22, 2011
- McDonald's McRib Fake Success Disappoints People - Nov 19, 2010
- Now, a McDonald's burger named after Shane Warne! - Nov 10, 2010
- Go Indian to sell in India: Management guru Arindam Chaudhuri - Aug 28, 2011
- McDonald's to give free fruit with every Happy Meal - Jul 27, 2011
- Snoop Dogg digs into junk food - Jul 19, 2011
- Morrissey unapologetic over Norway massacre comment - Jul 31, 2011
- McDonald playing around with new chicken recipes - May 23, 2011
- McDonalds all set to introduce the McItaly burgers - Feb 10, 2010
- McDonalds ad in Philippines pulled over - Apr 15, 2011
- McDonald's staff caught selling stale food - Mar 16, 2012
- McDonald's, Burger King now 'serving healthier foods' - Jul 15, 2010
- McDonald's franchisee to invest Rs.500 crore - Feb 21, 2011
- Burger King's 'Pizza Burger' has a whooping 2500 calories - Aug 23, 2010
- McDonald's fined in Brazil for including toys in kids' meals - Dec 07, 2011
Tags: advertising campaign, borchardt, burger king, burger kings, campaigners, development director, exploitative, food giant, inquisitor, mcdonalds, new advertising, new york daily news, poverty levels, promotion scheme, stricken villagers, taste test challenge, thai villagers, virgins, whopper, york daily news